Forum Organization?

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
jonathan

Forum Organization?

Post by jonathan »

I think things would be a lot clearer if Game Chatter was broken up into three forums (something like: Problems installing/errors, Rule Questions, and Client Updates). Just my two cents.
jonathan

Re: Forum Organization?

Post by jonathan »

If you REALLY wanted to get crazy you could even divide rule questions into the two game types. WHOA!
drwr

Post by drwr »

Yeah. I always figured that eventually this would be a useful division. However, since the forum is fairly low-traffic so far--maybe one post a week or so on average--I'm not sure that having separate categories would really buy you very much. All it would do is force people to visit each category separately in order to read all of the new posts; and it would potentially confuse people who weren't sure which category their post belonged in.

In general, I feel that subdividing a forum into multiple categories is mainly useful for forums that get lots of traffic, so much so that people might need to avoid reading all of it. In this case, they can choose to read only those categories that most apply to them; for instance, gamers could read the "strategy" forum, and developers could read the "bug reports" forum.

But when the forum traffic is so light, everyone who reads the forum at all will probably want to read every post anyway, so there's not a whole lot of advantage for separating them out.

David
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

That's a good point, I didn't notice that the traffic was so low until you mentioned it. I was just looking through old posts and found it a little hard to navigate. I definitely understand though, it would be a little crazy to have all those divisions when some of them would have like 2 topics in them.