Export: Blackholes

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
esoteric

Export: Blackholes

Post by esoteric »

Something noticed recently is that when you export the default "Worlds seen directly by me this turn", Blackholes, of course, dont' go with them. I'm sure the intention is to normally provide that kind of information and it would seem useful to have a defaulting option to at least send 'Holes that are adjacent to the shared planetset instead of having to explicitely select and send.
drwr

Re: Export: Blackholes

Post by drwr »

It's a good point, though it's a little strange. Black holes are exported, of course, the turn that you discover them. If you export the map on a later turn with "Worlds seen by me this turn" selected, it doesn't include the black holes, because you didn't see the black holes this turn.

It is true that black holes are a little bit of a special case. They don't get drawn grayed out on your map, no matter how long ago you've seen them, since you can generally assume that a black hole is still a black hole, and that nothing much has changed there. So if you think of the "Worlds seen by me this turn" option as meaning "Worlds that are not grayed out on my map", you would expect that export to include black holes.

Still, it would be a little odd to change the rules as you suggest. That would make the rule, "Worlds seen by me this turn, and black holes that were ever seen by me that are are adjacent to worlds seen by me this turn."

What about black holes that I've never seen myself, but that I imported from an ally's map? Should they be included? It looks the same on my map, but what if my ally fibbed to me and it isn't a black hole at all? I'd be inadvertently passing that fib on in my export, which was supposed to include only "worlds seen by me".

It's also just possible that the Pandora's Box has been working some magic, and what once was a black hole is a black hole no longer. So implicitly including this outdated information on your exported map might be a bit disingenuous.

So, I don't know. I see your argument, but my inclination is to leave it as it is.

David