Predicted Loading with Ambush

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
esoteric

Predicted Loading with Ambush

Post by esoteric »

Here's a strange problem:
I have a Fleet at a world with 1 ship and 1 metal. It's set to move two or three hops and will be ambushed along the way since I haven't entered any orders for an opponent fleet in the way.
I'm transferring 1 ships from I ships to the fleet so I'll have 2 ships and 1 metal; my Fleet's predicted complement is 0 ships, 0 metal because of the ambush.
I tell it to load metal and it tells me I can load 2 more and then flags the command with an Error (Loaded only 1)
If I tell it that the opponent ship is moving and then delete and reenter the Load command it supplies me the proper value of 1 to load.
drwr

Re: Predicted Loading with Ambush

Post by drwr »

You've managed to find a pretty obscure case of the prediction going awry. :) The prediction works by basically running the turn, as we see it locally, and checking how much metal and ships you have left at the end of the turn (or, in some cases, in the middle of the turn). For the purposes of determining available metal, it takes the ship count in the middle of the turn (before combat and movement), and then subtracts the forecast metal. Clearly, it should be taking the metal count in the middle of the turn, too, but at the moment it's taking the metal count from the end of the turn, since that's simpler, and (almost) always returns the same value anyway. In this case, though, the metal at the end of the turn is different from the metal at the middle of the turn, because of the ambush. Oops.

David