Newbie Advice

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
oldbubblehead

Newbie Advice

Post by oldbubblehead »

I have played Starweb for many years and have just now discovered RSW (thank you Somnos). I see some new player types and I would like to try them out. Could someone please give me some advice on playing the Architect and Skip Tracer positions. Thank you. Oldbubblehead.
somnos

Re: Newbie Advice

Post by somnos »

HI,

Skip tracers score by seeing worlds either by flying thru them, owning them or by the probes they get off worlds they own. Can fly 4 hops but have terrible firepower so they are not warriors. They either play madcap rovers with large fleets that are hard to kill OR they can be useful spies for their allies by mapping the web.

The architect gets his jollies/points by rearranging the web map. He can create, destroy or move the connections to a world. This takes ships so they are not the best warriors either. But in alliance with others they can be very useful. I have used the architect to make my HW closer to the heart of other empires to make it easier to attack. Similarly, connecting allied HWs makes for better defense. I have even used it to rotate the last remaining connection to my HW to a different world making it the Ring 1 world (effectively moves your HW to elsewhere in the web). If you are a loner type then you probably wouldn't want this character. Works best in conjunction with others.

El
Somnos