The Passing of Rick Loomis

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.

The Passing of Rick Loomis

Post by 12678 »

Hello all!

Just wanted to let everyone know that Rick Loomis passed away on Saturday from his bout with cancer. A gaming legend pretty much sums up the legacy of Rick. The sheer amount of games that he created over the years and his creation of Flying Buffalo are without precedent. Of course, we have the original Starweb--and thus RSW--from Rick's brilliant mind and we have him to thank for all that he did for us, the gaming world and for setting the bar high on game moderators. I know my life has been much better because of Starweb and Rick (and RIFTLORDS and HEROIC FANTASY, etc.) but he will be sorely missed. Our gaming population is dwindling from the PBM days of the '80's where it all began. We have to take a time out from our gaming to truly appreciate each other more and more as all of us are only ever given so many "turns" in life.

There is more information about Rick on the Flying Buffalo home page and on Facebook, I believe. If anyone knows anything else, please post it here.
JimE

Re: The Passing of Rick Loomis

Post by JimE »

Very sad to hear this. He was well ahead of his time, he even pioneered the play by email with Starweb too.
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

I just heard about this today. I got my first Starweb rulebook from FBI 35 years ago. I never met Rick in person but have spoken with him several times years ago. I knew he had been diagnosed with cancer recently. He was going to name Starweb "Star Wars" initially (trivia). I'm sure he is in Heaven now. My condolences to his family. Awesome Guy
constella

sad news indeed

Post by constella »

I have been playing Starweb and its offspring since I was in high school (long time ago). So much fun, so many good memories. I met Rick once at the Great White North Starweb Tournament hosted by the Flying Moose folks. It was a treat that Rick was able to play with us since turns were submitted on diskette and he didn’t see the turnsheets. This world is a better place and more fun thanks to Rick.

Post by 12678 »

That was a super cool post, Constella. Absolutely LOVED the overview of the game when you guys went to Elliot's to play.

One of the most wonderful aspects of the old FLYING BUFFALO QUARTERLY was that certain players would submit articles about various games and they were always riveting to read. The one aspect of the game that we don't usually get to appreciate is what is happening outside our own territory. Those reports were incredible game summaries as well as teaching tools for finer points and nuances of the game for the newbie.
somnos

Re: sad news indeed

Post by somnos »

constella wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:11 pm I have been playing Starweb and its offspring since I was in high school (long time ago). So much fun, so many good memories. I met Rick once at the Great White North Starweb Tournament hosted by the Flying Moose folks. It was a treat that Rick was able to play with us since turns were submitted on diskette and he didn’t see the turnsheets. This world is a better place and more fun thanks to Rick.
That you Paul? I remember putting on that convention. We had such a good time in that small northern resort in Muskoka.

El