feature request: list sorting

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.

feature request: list sorting

Post by guest »

It would be nice if once you picked a sorting criteria for the lists (world list, fleet list, artifact list), that all of the lists would be sorted the same way, so you would not have to hit the button for each list to get them to all be the same.

If you really wanted to be fancy about it, you could have some options in the preferences to control the linking and set the default sorting column to be something other than number. My preference is owner sorted once a game is several turns in so I can find my stuff.

Thanks
drwr

Post by drwr »

Hmm. That would, however, make it impossible to open two different game windows and sort worlds by (say) owner in one window, and by (say) metal in the other window, so you can compare them side-by-side that way.

Not that I've ever done this, or even think that's a terribly useful feature.

Actually, what I'd really like to see is stable sorting: if I click on metal, and then by owner, I'd like to see the worlds sorted by owner, and within worlds owned by the same person, I'd like to see them still sorted by metal. Presently that doesn't happen, and it's actually a bit tricky to fix it so that it does, so I haven't gotten around it it yet.

Since I personally change the sort several times during a game session, it never occurred to me that there would be value in making the sort column persistent across sessions. But I can see that it would be so for people who prefer to see it sorted in a particular way and want to leave it there.

I have no problem making that change. Anyone else have an opinion about this?

David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

drwr wrote:Actually, what I'd really like to see is stable sorting: if I click on metal, and then by owner, I'd like to see the worlds sorted by owner, and within worlds owned by the same person, I'd like to see them still sorted by metal. Presently that doesn't happen, and it's actually a bit tricky to fix it so that it does, so I haven't gotten around it it yet.
Really? I do this all the time and it seems to work for me. Particularly useful is sorting by Forecast Metal, then by Three Hops (from anchor). The other common one I use is to sort my fleet list by World, then by Owner. Just clicking on the table headings in that order works for me. Maybe a Windows/Linux issue?
drwr wrote:Since I personally change the sort several times during a game session, it never occurred to me that there would be value in making the sort column persistent across sessions. But I can see that it would be so for people who prefer to see it sorted in a particular way and want to leave it there.

I have no problem making that change. Anyone else have an opinion about this?
When I first read the post, I assumed the request was for all lists to be sorted the same as the one you last sorted. In other words, if I clicked on Owner in the World List, the Fleet List would immediately be sorted by Owner as well. I would definitely have a problem with this, since I often switch back and forth between lists that I specifically wanted sorted differently.

I don't see a problem with making sorts persistent across sessions, but like David, I switch between different sorts in each session, so it wouldn't be an important feature for me.