Roles for non-communication games?

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Puzzler

Roles for non-communication games?

Post by Puzzler »

In the Classic and Advanced games, are there some roles that just don't work well in non-communication games? I remember thinking that some of the roles such as the Collector and Trader would be nearly impossible to play without communication, but I don't have the experience to back that up. What do you think?
drwr

Re: Roles for non-communication games?

Post by drwr »

I've seen people successfully play Trader in a non-comm game; Traders are valued enough that people are willing to put in the effort to work with a Trader. I don't know if anyone's played Collector successfully yet, but I expect it's possible too, though as you say, it would be a bit of a challenge.

Starweb has a fairly long tradition of so-called "anonymous" games (which is what they call this kind of non-communication game), and there you will find a community that has already worked out some of these issues in considerable detail, including suggestions for communicating your character type and intentions via in-game actions. You might be interested to browse through some of the archives at the Starweb Email Discussion Group for more. :)

David
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

I remember a time, when communication went via snail, writing postcards and drawing maps on small sheets of paper.....
Back then, you more often than not played "non-comm" - and it worked with every character.
Agreed, with some it was harder to win - that was the challenge then.

But speaking of collectors - everybody finds sooner or later an useless or point reducing artifact. So send a valuable fleet in a black hole or gift it to a collector and perhaps get something in return ? A collector reveals his char by transferring arts fleet to fleet.

Personally, I actually prefer non-comm games cause due to job+family I often don´t have the time needed/wished to invest in discussions, cooperations and negotiations.
Right now, I am trying some estimated weaker characters in non-comm/"bitter-end" games (last player in game wins) like Arms Dealer or Skip Tracer.
Works not too bad :twisted:

I would love seeing some more multi-position games, but the last I created nobody showed interest in.... :cry:

MiTCh
Puzzler

Post by Puzzler »

So it sounds like for best possible results, you'd want to play a non-communication game where the roles are public knowledge. That way, you could experiment with gifting an artifact to a collector, for example, and see if he gives you something in return. I'm still pretty hazy on how you could communicate your expectations to a trader, but I'll take your word for it that it's possible. Would love to hear more details. I looked through that Starweb forum, and found a few anecdotes about anonymous games, but couldn't find anything that gave me a clear notion of how to handle these characters that almost seem to demand communication.
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

Puzzler wrote:So it sounds like for best possible results, you'd want to play a non-communication game where the roles are public knowledge. That way, you could experiment with gifting an artifact to a collector, for example, and see if he gives you something in return. I'm still pretty hazy on how you could communicate your expectations to a trader, but I'll take your word for it that it's possible. Would love to hear more details. I looked through that Starweb forum, and found a few anecdotes about anonymous games, but couldn't find anything that gave me a clear notion of how to handle these characters that almost seem to demand communication.
nothing´s better than real life. i just started a non-comm, sign up and find out ;-)

MiTCh