Draw maps...

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
sun-e

Draw maps...

Post by sun-e »

I have problems with some maps. They really confused me. Its difficult to bring the planets in a clear map view. I saw, there is a XML download option at the maps. How this files can be used? If I found the correct map, I can import hat into the client or what?
Tieffdschie

Re: Draw maps...

Post by Tieffdschie »

divers3n started recently, where one of Somnos' chickenwire-maps is used. I tried to download it, but somehow the link doesn´t work.
Would like to learn the handling of this, too.

sun-e, sounds like you still don´t use a holo-projector... :wink:
if you are involved in debts4z - the map is perfectly simple if you move the black holes in one corner and tunnel all its connections :idea:

MiTCh
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Ja, just try to analyse the map of world5a... thats a neat one

Arioch
Armageddon has been yesterday - today we are in REAL trouble...
sun-e

Post by sun-e »

Arioch wrote:Ja, just try to analyse the map of world5a... thats a neat one

Arioch
Yeah, this map looks so stupid, its tricky and boring to play. I guess this game will have many dropouts :?

Its nearly impossible to draw a map...
drwr

Post by drwr »

The XML map files available for download are intended for loading into the map editor, but cannot be loaded into the game client. You have to sort out the world connections on your own. If there is much protest against a particular map, I'm willing to remove it from the available map selections. But note that complex maps like these are what you get when you select map type "advanced". ;)

David
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

:P LOL David!

This map (world5a) is "computer generated", or at least it is shown as that in the client... I really did not know that your computer has a sense of wicked humor :twisted:

Arioch
sun-e

Post by sun-e »

Damn, we have the first leavers because the map is to confused :roll:
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

sun-e wrote:Damn, we have the first leavers because the map is to confused :roll:
I took over.
Looks like we have a 3d-map with layers of squares.
Once you sorted out the first two hops from your hw, the rest should fit in by itself.

Did you try this structure already ?

Mirek / MiTCh
drwr

Post by drwr »

This map (world5a) is "computer generated", or at least it is shown as that in the client
In fact, it is not. It is user-generated. The game description for world5a includes the line:

Code: Select all

Uses the map set "advanced".
which means that the game map was user-generated, and that the game creator specifically selected the map set "advanced" for this game (normally a Classic game would draw from the map set "classic" instead, which doesn't have such complex maps).

Does the game client really say the map is computer-generated? If it does, that sounds like a bug in the client.

David
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

David,

yes it does:
world5a.jpg
world5a.jpg (60.68 KiB) Viewed 13581 times
Arioch
drwr

Post by drwr »

Hmm, it's also kind of strange that it shows a combination of English and German. And one of the characters doesn't even print. I'll look into it.

David
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

Hi David,

then please check one more thing:

I usually play at home on my desktop using the client (online).
But for my business trips I have the client also installed on my notebook - offline.

Problem is, the offline client doesn´t accept several (overridden) parameters like more hops for fleets, higher metal loading factors or (now in divers3n) 4 gifts per turn.

Thx.

Mirek
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

@all:
my first guess was right. World5a is Rubiks Cube.
I have now 4 layers of squares connected to each other.

Not nice or easy to handle, but the structure is perfectly clear.

Start with a hop-3 world, not with yout hw, when you "draw" your map.

MiTCh
somnos

Post by somnos »

Gee I don't know why people are having trouble with the maps - they are all posted on the web page. By Turn 2 you can tell by the number of connections which of the advanced maps could be the one - and it's usually only one map which you can view to set up. I think part of the fun is cracking the map - then you can make educated guesses about worlds that don't connect at the edges - but then do. You can write (manually) orders for flight based on this and even if the client declares an error your flight plan can work.

somnos
sargas

Post by sargas »

I got no problem with the map (so far)

Hi Elliot...