Map topology

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
esoteric

Map topology

Post by esoteric »

So, historically the maps have been computer generated and 'flat' topologies. In one game I'm seeing a structure that strikes me as at least cylindrical for the bits I've seen; I assume potentially toroidal. Has there been a change to this?
drwr

Re: Map topology

Post by drwr »

Did you miss this announcement?
esoteric

Post by esoteric »

I miss a lot of things these days.
Puzzler

Post by Puzzler »

Is there a setting that corresponds to the old random-connection computer-generated maps? Last time I created a game, I thought I was choosing random maps, but it seemed like it just randomly chose from the highly regular topologies.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Yes. The default game options now specify a random hand-drawn map, but you can change this. When you get to the "Ready to create game" page, pick the option "Select the game map".

David
Puzzler

Post by Puzzler »

Thanks. So now that the hand-drawn maps have been the default for nearly a year, what do people think? I've only had a chance to play RSW once since the change, and I found the highly regular square map to be kind of dull. On the other hand, the randomized maps can often be "unfair". Are there other tradeoffs? What do people like about the hand-drawn maps?