CLIENT

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
unicorn653

CLIENT

Post by unicorn653 »

I am new. i downloaded CLIENT. i accepted a standby position. when i go to the game it shows up as text, and not graphic as i thought CLIENT was supposed to show. do i have do do something more?
drwr

Re: CLIENT

Post by drwr »

Hi, and welcome to RSW!

The client is not a web plugin, and does not affect the web presentation, which is always text-based. Instead, the client is a standalone program that is independent from the web interface.

When you run the client, it should pop up a window to ask you for your RSW username and password, and then it contacts the RSW server to download the games directly. Then you can click on the particular game in the client window to open it in its own graphical window.

Have you been able to run the client yet? Do you see the list of games within the client interface?

David
unicorn653

Post by unicorn653 »

when i ran client ( about 12 times now), it never asked me my user name nor my password. also, it finished in a matter of seconds, which i thought weird for a download of a programme.
drwr

Post by drwr »

It sounds like something is going wrong with the client. Let's try to figure out what it is.

I assume you're running on Windows? It's a normal, 32-bit version of the operating system? Is it Windows XP, or Windows 7, or something else?

What do you see when you run the client? Does it open any windows at all?

Check the folder c:\Program Files\RSW . Is there a file there called rsw_client.exe.log? If so, what does it contain?

David
unicorn653

Post by unicorn653 »

drwr wrote:It sounds like something is going wrong with the client. Let's try to figure out what it is.

I assume you're running on Windows? It's a normal, 32-bit version of the operating system? Is it Windows XP, or Windows 7, or something else?

What do you see when you run the client? Does it open any windows at all?

Check the folder c:\Program Files\RSW . Is there a file there called rsw_client.exe.log? If so, what does it contain?

David
i believe i got it working. Now i want an Icon on my screen to direct me to the CLIENT.
unicorn653

Post by unicorn653 »

i now have both my games working - thanks to you. the file was downloaded. i didnt realize i had to go to it in it's folder and run it. then it asked me for my account and password. now i am able to play. i put an icon on my screen (shortcut) so i dont have to find that file again! sheesh. Thanks again for your interest and help.
Gary
drwr

Post by drwr »

Ah, I see. When you install the client, it adds a shortcut to the start menu, but it doesn't add one to the desktop, mainly because I dislike programs that insist on polluting the desktop with their shortcut icons. But I guess it's silly of me to impose my preferences on everyone else; I should add an option to the installer to add a desktop icon for people who prefer that. :)

David
somnos

Post by somnos »

HAHA!
Gary has arrived at RSW - let the RSWverse know that a master SW vet has entered the ring. Welcome Gary - can't wait to play with/against you.

Unfrtunately my plate is full until Sept. I will create some advanced signups in mid august.

El
SOMNOS