German translation - technical problem found

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Arioch

German translation - technical problem found

Post by Arioch »

Hello all,

I am working (relatively) hard to translate the whole RSW stuff into German. Now, while translating the passages about email security i just tried to import this certificate into my Outlook 2010 - and it does not work. Outlook 2010 does not accept the file format. I dont know if it works with older versions of Outlook, I only have 2010 :evil: - to be honest, I only use it for testing, normally I use Thunderbird :lol: .

Ok, nevertheless David, you should check this (if necessary) to get a working certificate file. To the question about older versions of Office, maybe some other player is using that and can try to import the file.

I just wrote a short note in my translation that it does not work with Office 2010 at the moment.

Arioch
Armageddon has been yesterday - today we are in REAL trouble...
drwr

Re: German translation - technical problem found

Post by drwr »

I'll investigate, thanks! But I suspect it's just a file conversion thing--Outlook understands a different file format than Thunderbird or other mail readers. You can use openssl to convert the file format, but it would make sense for me to provide both formats so you don't have to.

David
drwr

Post by drwr »

Wait. Outlook doesn't support importing certificate authorities at all. And my page at http://rswgame.com/en/getCertificateAuthority already explains this:
If you are using Outlook, there does not appear to be a way to explicitly import certificate authorities. Instead, you can wait until you receive an email from the RSW Server, and then click "Edit Trust" and indicate that you wish to trust this certificate in the future. More recent versions of Outlook also give an offer to trust the certificate authority when you click on the Digital Signature Layer line; if you have this option, you should use it. Trusting the certificate authority will automatically trust emails sent from other RSW addresses, such as in-game player messages. If you can only trust at the certificate level, you will have to do this each time you receive a message from a new RSW player.
Is there another page elsewhere that fails to explain this process for Outlook?

David
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

David,

I checked Outlook 2003 and 2010 this night :idea: and fund in both programs there is an option to import digital ID's. Even Outlook Express 6 has that option. Outlook Express only accept files in the following formats: Either *.SST (Microsoft Serial Certificate), *.P7B (PKCS #7 Certifikat) and *.PFX / *.P12 (PKCS #12 Certificate). Outlook 2003 accepts only *.PFX, *.P12 or *.EPF (whatever that is) while Outlook 2010 only accepts *.PFX or *.P12.

1. How to import in Outlook Express (if anyone is dumb enough to use this :twisted: ): Go to Extras - Options - Security. There you can see a passage "Secure E-Mail" (bottom of that tab), there is a button "Digital IDs", if you click you can see all certificates which are in use and you have a button "Import...".

2. How to import in Outlook 2003: Go to Extras - Options - Security. There at the bottom should be a passage §Digital IDs (Certificates)" and a button "Import/Export...". With that you can browse for any file with the appropriate extension to import. You need to give a name to the certificate but thats all.

3. How to import in Outlook 2010: Its somewhat different :lol: . Go to File - Options - Security Center. Klick button "Change settings for security center". Choose "E-Mail security", there you find a passage called "Digital IDs (Certificates)" and a button "Import/Export...", the following steps are similar to Outlook 2003.

The only thing I didn't find out is why M$ only uses this *.PFX/*P12 format and nothing more...

Arioch

Ummm... I hope I have translated my German menues into the right English button- and menu-titles. As I am using only German Office I can't change the language in the programs, only in the spellcheck... :x
drwr

Post by drwr »

Right, but Digital ID's is different from Certificate Authorities. There has always been a way to import your personal Digital ID, which is used to identify yourself; but none of these is for the purpose of importing a Certificate Authority, which is for the purpose of identifying someone else. For receiving signed email from RSW, you need to import a Certificate Authority.

There's no way in Outlook to do this. You can convert RSW's pem file to a p12 file, and import it into Outlook, but it won't use it to approve signed email from RSW. The only way to make Outlook recognize signed email from RSW is to wait for such an email to arrive, and then approve the Certificate Authority that was used to sign the email, as described in that paragraph.

I guess I could make this clearer, and explain this distinction in that text. But it seemed like a bit too much detail for the purposes of that page.

David
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

OH-KAY

now I got it :shock:

So I have been wrong with my knowledge.. good, I will see to correct that in my translation asap

Arioch