New website design

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
drwr

New website design

Post by drwr »

The fancy new RSW website design is live as of this morning. The hope is to make the game look more attractive to new users--the look of the website should reflect the depth of the game itself. At the same time, I want the game to remain accessible to users with text-based browsers and screen readers, or slow internet connections. Tell me what you think!

David
Gorf

Re: New website design

Post by Gorf »

Looks very slick! I like it. Are you using a CMS now?
drwr

Post by drwr »

No CMS, just hand-rolled HTML and Javascript. The webpages are almost entirely dynamically generated, under control of the Python server; integrating with an off-the-shelf CMS for a project like this would be a bit of a challenge. It's doable, of course, but probably not worth the effort for the relatively small changes I just put in.

David
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

I have firebug installed on my browser, saw a lot of CSS

assumed that you did not want to deal with that. or did you?

yea; a CMS requires a lot templates

I'm dabbling with joomla, wordpress. Interesting stuff

Gorf
drwr

Post by drwr »

Oh, sure; the CSS is hand-rolled too. But the vast majority is cut-and-pasted from a standard CSS template; I only added maybe 20 categories. CSS is not any more difficult to code by hand than HTML.

David
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

yes; I know CMSystems do not generate that stuff ;)

Great job! (yet again)! Thanks for doing what you do! Very Awesome & Impressive.

Regards, Gorf
Raf

Post by Raf »

What happened to the game signup link?
drwr

Post by drwr »

I moved some things around to declutter the interface a bit. There were too many links across the top.

In particular, I combined the "My games" link and the "Game signup" link into the new "Play" button. If you click the "Play" button, it will take you to a page which lists your current games; and from there you can click the "Signup" button (scroll down the page) to sign up for a new game.

Or, just click the "currently signed up for X games" link on your home page to go directly to the signup page.

Or, if you have email notifications on, you can click on the link for a particular game from the email announcement.

David
ZenCat

Post by ZenCat »

Hey Dave, this is really slick! I've nosed around a bit and am very impressed. It's obvious you put a lot of time and thought into this. Great job....