RSW version 0.89

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
drwr

RSW version 0.89

Post by drwr »

A new release with mainly bugfixes. This also includes 0.88.1, which I never got around to publishing.
Version 0.89:

* Fixed bug in which order draft flag gets set upon opening a new
message in the client.

* Fixed bug in which the conditional fire order message never gets
reset once it has been issued.

* Fixed the News panel failing in certain circumstances.

* A possible fix for the bug in which popup order menus eventually
stop appearing.

* Client now reports total messages and unread messages in the top
game list, instead of simply unread messages.

* Added explicit user control over email security options. Server
now creates a new certificate for each synthesized email address,
allowing full support of S/MIME encryption if desired.

* Fixed minor HTML errors with the aid of HTMLValidator.

Version 0.88.1

* Fixed bugs with management of order list, especially when
redownloading the current turn onto a new machine.

* Fixed bug with saving message on order sheet, and sending
message while viewing the projected turn.
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

Thanks for the update.

I've got a new bug for you, though. I don't appear to be able to jettison metal from fleets that I have at neutral worlds. Or at least, I can't do so with the client menus. I was able to enter the order using the text field, and the order list does not show an error for the order. Won't know whether it works until next turn.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Oops, there's always one more bug, isn't there?

This was a simple one: I just had a test for world.owner == None in the wrong place. This also affected the normal unload and the CG unload orders. I've checked in a fix, which will get published in the next release.

In the meantime, typing the order by hand will certainly work.

David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

Another minor one:

The Delete key does not seem to work in text fields. Backspace works fine. Perhaps because Delete is bound to the "Delete selected order(s)" menu item?
drwr

Post by drwr »

Hmm, you're right. That seems hard to fix, without removing the Delete button hotkey altogether.

Maybe that would be a worthwhile change, since you can also delete orders with the right mouse button.

David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

Can you make the Delete key work when an order is selected and that widget has focus, and just not have it as a menu item?
drwr

Post by drwr »

I haven't found a way to do that in wxPython. I can't bind to keys in general; all I can do is make keys into menu hotkeys, which means they're active all the time.

I guess I could do something crazy like change the hotkey table every time a child window changes focus, but that's what I mean about "hard to fix."

David
Sigesti

Post by Sigesti »

I'm not sure what on earth happened, but the RSW client went kind of obstinate and is refusing any effort to do anything with it. I was just setting my turn instructions, when it stopped taking input. Left click, right click, whatever. I'm not even able to move the window/close it.

Oddly, I can still open the windows and see them, but any effort to interact is met with failure.

Also bizarre, I can't even alt-escape, ctrl-alt-del to even close these little buggers. The only thing that seems to work is restarting :(
drwr

Post by drwr »

Yikes! Have you had such problems with any prior version of the client? Has it happened more than once with this version? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

David
Sigesti

Post by Sigesti »

Before it happened when I tried deleting something, and some other thing got caught in an infinite loop.

This time I was just clicking around a lot checking out where I had stuff to do.

Haven't tried it again.

I kind of hope I'm just unlucky!
drwr

Post by drwr »

Do you know the date and time of day when this happened? Was it immediately before your post? I can check the server logs--maybe the client got itself into deadlock while it was trying to communicate with the server.

David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

I have experienced something like this recently. I've been trying to reproduce it more reliably in order to give a better bug report.

What seems to happen for me is that after opening a message window (viewing a message or composing new), the client will occasionally lock up for anywhere between 2 and 10 seconds at a time (maybe more, haven't timed it), every couple of minutes or so. It won't accept any input, although it will minimize/maximize, and even properly redraw itself after being maximized. I don't believe the Windows "Not Responding" message usually appears in the title bar. CPU usage remains minimal during this time.

Windows events are being queued up during this time, however. For instance, if you're in the middle of typing a message, and you keep typing through the freeze-up, the characters will appear all at once when the client becomes responsive again.

Occasionally when this is happening, the following message dialog will appear: "Cannot open <gameName>: lock is held by another process".

A couple of times when this has been happening, the client has frozen up completely (as I believe Sigesti has described), although I've always been able to kill it one way or another.
drwr

Post by drwr »

This sounds like it's probably the ill-conceived "feature" I added in this version to auto-save the game file locally every couple of minutes.

I'll investigate more closely. If I can't make it better behaved, I'll take it out.

David