Control of World

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Puzzler

Control of World

Post by Puzzler »

In RSW Core, I have encountered two situations that appear almost identical to me, but have resulted in different world control outcomes. Can someone please explain this to me?

In both situations, my fleets attacked and eliminated a world's D-ships. In both situations, a third player's fleet showed up on the same turn. But in one case, control of the world reverted to neutral, and in another case, control of the world stayed with the defender.

Why?

The only difference I have noticed between the two scenarios is that in the case where the world stayed with the defender, the defender had no fleets stationed at the planet, and in the case where the world became neutral, the defender had a couple fleets stationed at the planet. If this were the reason for the different outcomes, I must admit that the difference is exactly opposite my intuition. It seems more reasonable that if a defender has fleets stationed at a planet, it helps prevent a world from reverting to neutral, rather than the other way around.

So what's going on?

Thanks!
drwr

Re: Control of World

Post by drwr »

I bet in one situation, you had enough firepower to fire two more shots than necessary to destroy all of the D-ships. This will force the world neutral, even if the world's owner or anyone else remains at the world or shows up next turn.

On the other hand, if you fire only enough shots to destroy the D-ships, the world remains in control of its original owner. (If you are the only player there and no other players show up next turn, you will capture the world anyway, however, by virtue of being the only player there with ships.)

David
Puzzler

Re: Control of World

Post by Puzzler »

Yes, that's probably it. Thanks.