Client Not Responding

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
beane

Client Not Responding

Post by beane »

I haven't been able to download my games all evening. Whenever I start the client up, it just hang while checking the server. Is there something wrong with the server, or is this problem only on my end?
beane

Re: Client Not Responding

Post by beane »

Okay, it is pretty clear this is a problem on my side. I tried loading up the client on my laptop and it worked fine.

Anyone have any idea why the client might have suddenly stopped working on my desktop? I am running the latest version of the client on XP. All of my other web apps are working fine.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Hmm, that's pretty mysterious, and a little disturbing.

Here's how to fix it: make sure your client is not running. Find the folder c:\Documents and Settings\<your name>\Application Data\RSW . Rename or delete this folder, and then restart the client. That will force it to redownload everything, as if you were running on a new computer.

If it doesn't let you rename the folder, the client must still be running in the background somewhere. Use the Task Manager to find it and kill it, or just restart the whole computer.

If you wanted to zip up your original folder before you delete it, and email it to me, I could try to investigate what went wrong.

David
beane

Post by beane »

That seemed to work. Is there any way I can get my finished games back? It's not a big deal, but if there is a way to move them over, that would be cool.

I can email you the file, but I need to know where to send it.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Look inside the original RSW/clientdatafiles, and copy all the files from there with the name of the finished games you want to save into the new RSW/clientdatafiles folder, and also remove games.idx from the new folder (it will be re-created automatically). Alternatively, if it's easier, just copy all the old files into the new folder, and then remove the current game files (and games.idx). One of the current game files must have gotten corrupt somehow.

I don't want to post my personal email address for spam reasons, but you can reach me at rswadmin@rswgame.com .

David