Home fleets, Defense, combat.

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
willypete

Home fleets, Defense, combat.

Post by willypete »

Now in having the same issues in industry3p.

I had an enemy group of about 12+ fleets over a fully robotized world, I-ships available issued the order (I311AF268) and was given the error code again I311AF268 <Error: W311 is not yours>

What appears to happen in the combat scenario is this:

Fleets(keys) fire first, then robots drop. Robots droipping does trigger an automatic I-SHIP firing; However fleets firing at P-Ships eliminating the population, cause the I-SHIP order (which shoul dbe simultaneous combat, not sequential) to fail because the world is seena s not owned.

so, havign a home fleet does not good excpet for robot attacks and ambushes.
drwr

Re: Home fleets, Defense, combat.

Post by drwr »

OK, I'll get this fixed as quickly as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

David
beane

Post by beane »

willypete wrote:Now in having the same issues in industry3p.
Must be something I am doing. I think your I-Fleets are just afraid to fire at me. ;)

Are those the actual commands and world/fleet numbers? The reason I ask is because: The game is on turn 46. The last time W311 was owned was on turn 42. On that turn, I fired upon the industry population killing all of the robots on the planet. There was no F268 above the planet, however, the I-ships did fire on F86.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Since industry3p is a no-communication game, all of the world numbers and fleet numbers are scrambled up for each player. So willypete's W311 is not the same world as your W311. This index-scrambling is intended to help keep honest people honest and reduce the temptation to cheat the no-communication rule by comparing notes with your friends.

David
esoteric

Post by esoteric »

I wonder who it is I've been abusing in this one 8)
trollfactory

Post by trollfactory »

esoteric wrote:I wonder who it is I've been abusing in this one 8)
Hmm.., perhaps it is me, my days/turns are counted here so i think it does not really matter if it is no-communication :)

Merlin / Rainer
drwr

Post by drwr »

I have finally fixed the bug reported in the OP. Sorry about the delay. Hope future games are more bug-free!

David
beane

Post by beane »

drwr wrote:Since industry3p is a no-communication game, all of the world numbers and fleet numbers are scrambled up for each player. So willypete's W311 is not the same world as your W311. This index-scrambling is intended to help keep honest people honest and reduce the temptation to cheat the no-communication rule by comparing notes with your friends.

David
Are the opposing player names also randomly generated in a no-communication game? A player just left a no-communication game that I am playing in. In their comments, they mentioned players that, it would seem, aren't even in the game.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Are the opposing player names also randomly generated in a no-communication game?
Yes. It would still be too easy to cheat if they were not.

Of course, it's not difficult to cheat the no-communication rule even with all this renaming going on, but you have to actively work at it, which is different than accidentally learning something in passing that you didn't intend to. So I'm relying on people's consciences to prevent them from taking that active, dishonest step.

The comments you are referring to accuse the other players in this game of colluding, against the spirit of a no-communication game. Of course, I have no way to verify or dispute those charges, but I hope the player is mistaken.

David
beane

Post by beane »

I am definitely not speaking with any of the other two players, but I'm also pretty sure that I am not one of the players that he is referring to. I probed the planet that Akhenaton is talking about (I am pretty certain), and it does look a little suspicious. *shrug* But who knows.
beane

Post by beane »

drwr wrote:The comments you are referring to accuse the other players in this game of colluding, against the spirit of a no-communication game. Of course, I have no way to verify or dispute those charges, but I hope the player is mistaken.
I know you can't really do anything about it, but just for the record, I am about 99% sure that Dan was right that the other two players are collaborating. I have been fighting them for several turns and haven't seen them fire on each other once.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Well, cooperation doesn't necessarily imply verbal communication. It's perfectly possible, even proper, to establish an alliance with other players in-game without exchanging a word. For instance, you can show your friendly intentions to your neighbors with a valuable gift on your first encounter, and if they reciprocate, you have an alliance.

Of course, there are limits to the kinds of strategy you can plan without verbal communication. If you see people engaging in apparently choreographed attacks (e.g. one player transferring ships to a positronix for a robot drop the same turn), that would be more cause for suspicion.

David
beane

Post by beane »

Fair enough. I am still unconvinced in this case, but it doesn't really matter. It is what it is.