World visibility

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
FishSpeaker

World visibility

Post by FishSpeaker »

It appears that each player has perfect information about all worlds that they owned/had fleets at/sent fleets to on the previous turn. Is that true?

Specifically, consider the following situation: It's turn 15. Player A owns W5. Player B sends a fleet to W5. Player A sends all his/her fleets/ships away from W5. Player C (a pirate) sends many fleets to W5. On turn 16, Player C has pirate captured Player B's fleet and is now the only player present at W5 (Player A has no fleets and no I/P ships there, and is not a Berserker).

From Player B's perspective, if the world still appears to be owned by Player A, does that necessarily mean that Player A and Player C are allies? Or is it possible that because the world capture happened after the pirate capture, Player C actually captured the world and it just doesn't appear that way to Player B since he/she only had a fleet on the world for the briefest period of time? (Player C's fleets do not appear to be At Peace, by the way).
drwr

Post by drwr »

It appears that each player has perfect information about all worlds that they owned/had fleets at/sent fleets to on the previous turn. Is that true?
Yes, this is true.
From Player B's perspective, if the world still appears to be owned by Player A, does that necessarily mean that Player A and Player C are allies?
This is not true. It would be true if the fleet capture were made in the normal way (e.g. by blasting away at all the ships). But pirate capture is special; if a player pirate-captures all the fleets on a given world, he won't capture the world itself until the next turn. From http://rsw.ddrose.com/help/capture.htm:
Also note that Pirate capture and gifts will change ownership of a fleet, but since both of these occur after the world-capture test is made, for the purposes of capturing the world the fleet is considered owned by its previous owner. The world will not change hands as a result of a fleet gift or Pirate capture until the next turn.
David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

Ahh. I had read that passage but promptly forgotten about it. That makes sense.
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

It also means that someone isn't as nefarious as I thought they might be.
drwr

Post by drwr »

It also means that someone isn't as nefarious as I thought they might be.
Well, they might still be nefarious, but now you can't prove it. :)

David