"Finish Turn" button missing?

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Puzzler

"Finish Turn" button missing?

Post by Puzzler »

My daughter and I both independently encountered the same odd behavior (bug?), on separate computers, running the latest client.

When I first logged in to my private game, turn 2, the "Finish Turn" button was nowhere to be found. I dragged and dropped a fleet to generate an order, and it prompted me on whether I wanted to reload and change my "existing orders", but I had never submitted any orders for this turn. The same thing happened to my daughter.
Puzzler

Re: "Finish Turn" button missing?

Post by Puzzler »

P.S. Do you prefer for stuff like this to be posted to the forums, or privately reported via the "Send Bug Report" button?
drwr

Post by drwr »

Hmm, that's a head-scratcher, all right. I'll have to say, let's keep our eyes open and see if we can figure out under what circumstances it happens. I haven't seen it happen myself yet, and until I do, it will be difficult for me to fix it.

In general, I'm not fussy about where bug reports go, but I think posting them to the forum is probably the best option--this gives other people the opportunity to say, "Hey! The same thing happened to me!" and maybe contribute some more insight. The "Send bug report" option is mainly useful if you want to send me a copy of your client data files, particularly in cases where you have a consistently reproducible bug that I am unable to replicate on my own.

David
MikeTomalin

Post by MikeTomalin »

Hey! The same thing happened to me!

A couple of times, actually. Unfortunately I didn't make any notes because I thought the problem was most likely caused something in my own computer. If I remember right, moving a fleet or saving the turn from the options menu usually brought the finish turn button back. I know that's not much help, but at least you now know the problem has occured to someone else as well.
Puzzler

Post by Puzzler »

When it happened to my daughter and me, we were on separate computers, but we were both working on our turns at about the same time. So from that, I speculated that it is not a client issue (since it seemed unlikely that both of our clients would randomly exhibit the same unusual problem at the same time), but perhaps the server incorrectly reported to the client that our turn orders were already complete. Incidentally, we were both connecting very shortly after the new turn had begun.

It hasn't happened to us again since.