Bug: download clean

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
FishSpeaker

Bug: download clean

Post by FishSpeaker »

I selected the "Re-download clean" option from my only active game. After doing so, the game window disappeared and only the "RSW Game List" window was left. The RSW Game List window content pane was completely white, however. I could select and move the window around (did not get the "Not Responding" message), but the window continued to render plain white even after letting it sit for several minutes.

I killed RSW and restarted it, and now my active game does not show up in my game list no matter how many times I use File->Download Games. I get an error when closing RSW: "Exception occured when attempting to save game enourmous7a. AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'save'". Here's the stack trace from the log:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "rsw\client\RswClient.pyc", line 866, in __idleCallback
  File "rsw\client\RswClient.pyc", line 253, in closeAllGames
  File "rsw\client\RswClient.pyc", line 246, in closeGame
  File "rsw\client\RswClient.pyc", line 312, in __closeGameHandle
  File "rsw\client\ClientGame.pyc", line 1126, in saveAndSubmitDraft
  File "rsw\client\ClientGame.pyc", line 1078, in saveLocally
  File "rsw\client\RswClient.pyc", line 311, in <lambda>
  File "rsw\client\RswClient.pyc", line 318, in __finalClose
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'save'
The following files were left behind after the unsuccessful "Re-download clean": enormous7a.gam, enormous7a.msg, enormous7a.usr. Deleting them resolved the issue, although strangely I still seem to have previously imported data.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Hmm. The previously imported data is saved on the server, which is why the "redownload clean" option is necessary. Redownload clean is supposed to close the game, delete all of the game files, and then download the game again, requesting the server not to send the imported data. (When you then save the game again, it replaces the old imported data on the server with whatever you have decided to import locally.)

It sounds like that process got itself deadlocked sometime between closing the game and deleting all of the game files, and then when you force-restarted the client it was in a bad state until you deleted the game files by hand. Now, of course, you have redownloaded the game normally, along with its imported data.

I wonder if this is a repeatable problem? If you pick "Redownload clean" again, does it fail in the same way, or does it work this time?

David
esoteric

Post by esoteric »

I just had the same thing happen with falling3i.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Is it repeatable? I need to know whether this is an occasional race condition, or whether it's tied to some particular configuration in your client.

David
esoteric

Post by esoteric »

I just tried it again with outlook9n and the same thing happened. I can send you the files I removed from both games if you want to look at them.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Hmm. Maybe. I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, so I'm not sure where to start looking.

Does it happen when you have just opened up a game, and immediately pick "Download clean?" Or does it only happen after you have been doing some work in a game for a while?

Do you wait for the server to fully download before you open up the game, or do you click it open while it is still downloading?

David
esoteric

Post by esoteric »

For outlook9n I openend the game fresh. I hit redownload clean, and it performed everything, opening a new window but indicating the wrong data in the RSW Game List:
in: 7 days
Players:?
Wait for: n/a

If I then import the map in my inbox then, Redownload Clean in the same session, it gets all locked out. Once I remove the game files it redownloads properly.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Ah. We have repro. After redownloading clean the second time within a session, it consistently locks up.

I can work with that.

David
esoteric

Post by esoteric »

That's not entirely precise but probably sufficient. If I modify the above sequence such that:
For outlook9n I open the game fresh. Import the map in my inbox then, Redownload Clean in the same session, it gets all locked out.

Thus, it can happen on the first time a clean download is requested after some work has been done to the session.

With the two different sequences you seemed to have a couple different problems showing up.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Ah, I found the problem. The bug actually happens whenever you pick "Redownload Clean" while there are any unsaved local changes at all. Thus, one simple workaround is to make sure you save the game (control-S) before picking Redownload Clean.

I'll have a proper fix in the next release.

David