Server downtime Oct. 9

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.

Server downtime Oct. 9

Post by Guest »

My new server provider was having troubles this morning, so the server was down for a few hours. This, of course, brought down the forums, as well as my personal email, all at the same time.

It's back up, now, obviously. Hopefully, it won't happen again.

David
drwr

Post by drwr »

Heh, and the forums had logged me out for some reason.

David
drwr

Post by drwr »

Oh yeah, and at some point during the downtime, when my provider was trying to bring my virtual server back up, they misconfigured the hostname for some reason, so that sendmail started sending bogus EHLO lines, which got the server put onto a spam blacklist. Bleah. I've cleared it from the blacklist, but several RSW emails sent today didn't get delivered to their recipients.

Not a huge problem, since everything is also available via the web interface. Just so you know what happened.

David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

Don't know if this is related, but currently my RSW client crashes as soon as I try to log in. More clearly, I:
  • start the client
  • type in my password to log in
  • click OK
  • see my games show up in the list with Status of "Checking Server"
  • after several seconds, all windows disappear and the process is no longer running
The log file only has a single line:

Code: Select all

trying xml.sax.expatreader
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

Well, the client works on my home computer. Not sure if there's really a difference or the problem went away altogether. I'm definitely running the same version in both places.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Have you had a chance to confirm whether it is still broken on the first computer?

David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

It does still seem to be broken. A turn had completed, so I saw a progress bar go for a second before it crashed.

I just renamed my RSW Application Data folder to force it to redownload everything, and now it's working. So I guess one of my data files got corrupted.

If I get a chance, I'll try to figure out which file is the problem by process of elimination. I did a folder diff and there were differences in all of the files associated with my current games (including all previous turns).
drwr

Post by drwr »

Don't bother. I think I know what changed to allow a greater likelihood of file corruption. I'll change it back in the next release.

David