Random stuff

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Throng

Random stuff

Post by Throng »

First, in the GUI it would be nice if when you export data, you could choose which character you were when exporting it. As I am playing multiple positions in one game, I had wanted to send a map to a player as one of my characters instead of my 1st, default, character.

Also, the information that two characters are being played by the same player is on the webpage, but sadly it isn't in the news panel (or somewhere in the GUI)

Also, it seems as if multiple imports of a unknown planet cause problems. Say that I haven't seen World 30, but my 2 friends have seen opposite worlds it's connected to - W59 and W42. When I import info for W30 from one person, I get it connected to W59, then when I import from the other, I either get W30 only connected to W42 or sometimes it's connected to both (the intended effect). I don't seem to have a definitive set of steps that always cause this, but it seems to be something with importing info about a planet that you already have some piece of info about.
drwr

Post by drwr »

First, in the GUI it would be nice if when you export data, you could choose which character you were when exporting it. As I am playing multiple positions in one game, I had wanted to send a map to a player as one of my characters instead of my 1st, default, character.
Note that you can draw a circle around (or control-click) the worlds you wish to export, and then pick "Selected worlds only", in order to export just a subset of all of the worlds you can see. So you can use this technique to export the worlds for just one character. But you're right, it would be convenient if you could just check a box to export "just the worlds seen by Smith," for instance. Trouble is, that's actually kind of awkward to do in the client, which has already integrated the reports from all of your players and no longer remembers which player saw which world. But it's possible for it to make this distinction and provide this option; I'll put it on the to-do list.
Also, the information that two characters are being played by the same player is on the webpage, but sadly it isn't in the news panel (or somewhere in the GUI)
Yeah, this is a known bug / missing feature in the client. Already on the to-do list. :)
Also, it seems as if multiple imports of a unknown planet cause problems.
I too have seen strange bugs resulting from multiple imports. The whole import process in general seems to be just a little bit flakey. I'm looking into these now.

David
Throng

Post by Throng »

Note that you can draw a circle around (or control-click) the worlds you wish to export, and then pick "Selected worlds only", in order to export just a subset of all of the worlds you can see. So you can use this technique to export the worlds for just one character.
The problem isn't which worlds I can export, it's that I can only send the message as the one character. Say I'm playing 2 characters, A and B. If I am only in contact with Race C with Character B, there is no way through the client to send/export map data to Race C, never mind the fact that I would have to send it Anonymously, because I can only make such messages originate from Character A.
drwr

Post by drwr »

The problem isn't which worlds I can export, it's that I can only send the message as the one character.
Ah, I see. You're right, that's a real limitation. I'll fix it.

David