Reducing the player pool

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
esoteric

Reducing the player pool

Post by esoteric »

This map situation is getting to be a big issue. There are those of us that are interested in playing a reasonable game with a manageable map, but these maps that are requiring a 3D or '4D' interface in order to arrange and navigate in addition to prior knowledge of the configuration to rationally sort it are driving a number of us to find other more fulfilling things to do with our time. If you categorized these as a super-special-interest kind of feature that could be avoided I could consider continuing to play on the normal planar map style as I do find the game to be nice semi-social entertainment; other players, however, seem to have hit their absolute limit on this kind of thing and are out entirely.
drwr

Re: Reducing the player pool

Post by drwr »

Really? I can certainly pull these maps out of the default "advanced" tag and require them to be explicitly requested if they're desired; and maybe this is indeed a good idea.

But I had no idea there was such distaste for them. No one has complained to me about them before now. Any other players who would care to express an opinion one way or the other right now?

David
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

I agree, this type of map is the main reason why I have drifted away form the game. I am not interested in playing cat's cradle every time I log onto the game when I get the next move. The game interface is not sophisticated enough for this kind of detail and I do not consider it fun and relaxing spending my free time on a pointless mess someone else thinks is a creative wonder. Just because he knows what it looks like and has the answer does not make it easy for everyone else. He is too free with other people's time.
sargas

Post by sargas »

I don't mind an occasional difficult 3D/4D maps. So far they are running (or have ran) in 1/3 of my games. The 2D maps are much easier to follow but I don't really mind the extra plottiing (I am retired, after all ,and my time is mine to use :wink:

Steve
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

I agree with Weaver and esoteric. It would be better to leave these very timne consuming maps out of the default choice. I sometimes like to figure out 3D or 4D maps too, but i also like to play a game of good old 2D "Starweb" as I played in the last Millenium

Arno aka Arioch
Armageddon has been yesterday - today we are in REAL trouble...
ZenCat

Post by ZenCat »

I'm with those who have already spoken. I've got a 2D computer screen, trying to layout 3D and 4D maps on it is a pain. I can do it, and I have the time to do it (I was forced into early retirement), but I would prefer NOT to have to do it. There are PLENTY of ways you can lay out and interesting and challenging 2D map, 3+4 D maps are something of a fetish and should be specified in the game setup so those who don't want to have to deal with them will know ahead of time.
Dale