RSW version 0.92

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
drwr

RSW version 0.92

Post by drwr »

I couldn't resist releasing this one just a bit early, perhaps, since lives5v and barker5a just ended in the same week. Time to start a new game?

This release includes the usual set of bugfixes, plus several user-suggested improvements.
Version 0.92:

* Better client response when a server exception occurs during
communication.

* Fixed export of next turn orders without world list.

* Fixed export problem with fleet movement arrows.

* Fixed export support for completely fictitious worlds.

* Fixed tendency for main window to pop to the top of the stacking
order unintentionally.

* Added new game option: time-of-day restriction on scheduled
runtime.

* Game window size and splitter positions will be remembered
across sessions.

* Control-D now rotates through (world, fleet, both) detail modes.

* Abandoned and withdrawn player positions for a given game are
now reported under the player tab and in the turn news.

* Fixed confusions with random weights reported at end-of-game.
David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

Minor confusion:

In game summaries on the web site, when there is a small amount of time until the next turn, the "Next turn" text can be confusing since the time of the next turn is given as HH:MM, but the time left is given as MM:SS.

For instance, at first glance, "Next turn is due at 23:39, in 5:12" would seem to indicate that the next turn is due in 5 hours and 12 minutes. In theory you should recognize that it is infact 5 minutes and 12 seconds until 23:39, but the military style presentation can add to the confusion, and you also start wondering if your time zone if off or something.

There's probably no reason to give time left accurate to the second anyway, since the turn doesn't roll over instantaneously.
FishSpeaker

Re: RSW version 0.92

Post by FishSpeaker »

drwr wrote: * Game window size and splitter positions will be remembered
across sessions.
This doesn't seem to work quite right for me. The window is "maximized", but the wrong size (714x544 instead of 1280x994). I can double click the title bar to unmaximize the window (stays the same size), then double click the title bar again to maximize (fills the screen). Unfortunately, the splitter separating the top two panes from the bottom pane is at its lowest position, presumably because the window was made smaller than the top pane's remembered size.

The splitter separating the two top panes is in the correct position.

This is on Windows XP.
Throng

Post by Throng »

Also, was it intentional that the people you've met and their scores are not longer part of the news tab? I can no longer find that information on the GUI client.
drwr

Post by drwr »

FishSpeaker wrote:In game summaries on the web site, when there is a small amount of time until the next turn, the "Next turn" text can be confusing since the time of the next turn is given as HH:MM, but the time left is given as MM:SS.
Excellent point. This has even confused me in the past; I'll fix it.
FishSpeaker wrote:This doesn't seem to work quite right for me. The window is "maximized", but the wrong size (714x544 instead of 1280x994).
Wow, that's trippy. Maximized, but small? I just realized that I neglected to test the most recent client on Windows at all before releasing it; what a hideous oversight on my part. (I tested only the Linux and OSX versions.)
Throng wrote:Also, was it intentional that the people you've met and their scores are not longer part of the news tab? I can no longer find that information on the GUI client.
No, sorry, this was an unintended bug. I'll fix it. In the meantime, you can still access this information via the web interface.

David
Throng

Post by Throng »

Thanks David.

One other question - the list of people I can see this turn and their scores on the web page for turn 8 is missing (at least) one person I've already met. Is there a # of turns that if you haven't been in contact with someone that they are removed from this list?
drwr

Post by drwr »

This is the way it's always been on the web page, and the way it was always supposed to have been in the turn news panel: you see the score list of the players you have met this turn only. For a long time, the client was reporting the wrong list: the score list of the players you have met since the beginning of the game. It was in attempting to fix this bug, which required changing the data sent from the server and the way the client received it, that I inadvertently broke it altogether.

David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

Whoa, you're not supposed to be able to keep track of other people's scores?

Why the departure from traditional Starweb?
drwr

Post by drwr »

That is traditional Starweb. And you can keep track of people's scores as long as you continue to see them every turn.

In many ways, this rule makes it easier to track people's scores, because you have a smaller set of scores-to-names to correlate. You can usually fill in any gaps by comparing notes with your allies.

David
FishSpeaker

Post by FishSpeaker »

Ahh, I see. I thought you meant that you would see each player's score only once, on the turn that your first met them.

This makes much more sense.