confer8a was a great game

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Gorf

confer8a was a great game

Post by Gorf »

Full of strategy & tactics with no communication that lasted for about 5 months.

As far as a "members-only" games go, I just do not understand why some players withdrew. I played until turn 90; and knew it was over for me - playing until the end no matter what happens.

Gorf
drwr

Re: confer8a was a great game

Post by drwr »

I think withdrawing from the game when your position is defeated is a way to gracefully acknowledge the defeat, like conceding a game of chess. Of course, this is different from withdrawing before your position is actually defeated; but I don't think anyone did that in confer8a.

Some players may also believe that withdrawing after defeat will help the game progress faster for the remaining players, so that the server won't need to wait for them to enter 0 orders every turn (though in fact the server recognizes when a position is defeated, and won't hold up the game waiting for orders for that position).

David
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

drwr wrote:I think withdrawing from the game when your position is defeated is a way to gracefully acknowledge the defeat, like conceding a game of chess. Of course, this is different from withdrawing before your position is actually defeated; but I don't think anyone did that in confer8a.

Some players may also believe that withdrawing after defeat will help the game progress faster for the remaining players, so that the server won't need to wait for them to enter 0 orders every turn (though in fact the server recognizes when a position is defeated, and won't hold up the game waiting for orders for that position).

David
I don´t fully agree to this. My positions fight to to end - I see a responsibility there to all the other players, not to "gift" my enemy the rest of the empire.
Actually I took over two withdrawed positions in confera just for the fun of teasing the winners.

It would be a nice feature there, if the server could inform that a former withdrawed position was taken over - with some extra time to adjust already sent in orders.

Mirek
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

It may be cool if Tieffdschie starts a Tournament Game.

I might join that.

Gorf
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

Gorf wrote:It may be cool if Tieffdschie starts a Tournament Game.

I might join that.

Gorf
I tried to but am still not allowed starting this kind of game. :(
drwr

Post by drwr »

You should be by now. You're listed as a full RSW member in the database.
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

here we go - dryer9t is open !

Mirek
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

7 of 15 needed have joined - are there enough members (active) to start a game :?:

Mirek
drwr

Post by drwr »

It seems like we should have enough active members, but historically starting a tournament game has been a challenge. Maybe many of our members are reluctant to face the additional stakes of a tournament game, or maybe we've just been unlucky with the timing of the game starts.

Perhaps I should reduce the size of a tournament game to 10 players for now. I bet we could find three more interested players over the next three weeks.

David
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

Having an incremental number of players in tournament game types makes sense .. I don't think the numbers should be changed as of now. Plus it's summer in the northern hemisphpere :)

A Classic game can be started at 10

Gorf
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

No movement here - still 7 players.

Mirek