New RSW client 1.0.8.1

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
drwr

New RSW client 1.0.8.1

Post by drwr »

I've just posted a new version of the RSW client, version 1.0.8.1; it's now available for download. Although the interface hasn't changed much, internally the code represents a completely new build, with new versions of the GUI and other support libraries. This shouldn't mean much to you as a player, but it means the code is more likely to run on a wider variety of hardware.

I'm also, for the first time, providing two separate versions of the Windows client: one for 64-bit Windows and a different one for 32-bit Windows. If you don't know what kind of computer you have, choose the 64-bit version; but if that one won't launch (or you already know you have only a 32-bit CPU), then choose the 32-bit version. The two programs are identical, but the 64-bit version will be able to take better advantage of your total available RAM and CPU, if your computer can run it. If you are upgrading from the previous version of the client, it will automatically download the 32-bit version. That's OK, but you might consider switching to the 64-bit version instead, for better performance.

Note that if you switch from the 32-bit version to the 64-bit version, you should probably completely uninstall the old RSW before you run the new installer. This is because each version is installed into different locations: the 32-bit one goes into c:\Program Files (x86)\RSW, while the 64-bit one goes into c:\Program Files\RSW. If you don't uninstall first, you'll end up with both versions on your hard disk, which could cause confusion down the road.

Also, this build is good news for Mac users: the new 1.0.8.1 is fully up-to-date with the latest OS X and should run out-of-the-box without any of the hoops the old version used to require you to jump through. Please let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Enjoy!
David
ZenCat

Re: New RSW client 1.0.8.1

Post by ZenCat »

Hummm... The new client is running just fine. Would it really be worthwhile to uninstall and reinstall? My HP is Windows 8.1 64 bit.
drwr

Re: New RSW client 1.0.8.1

Post by drwr »

No, no reason to switch to 64-bit if the 32-bit version is working fine for you.

David