New Classic Game Starting January 1, 2018--Need New Players

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.

New Classic Game Starting January 1, 2018--Need New Players

Post by 12678 »

Hey everyone! Was really glad to find RSW and though it seems quiet right now, wanted to see if there were people interested in launching a brand new classic version of the game. I come from a long history of online gaming myself and have been a Flying Buffalo fan and player for almost 30 years. Am hoping to bring over a squad of players from a recent Starweb game and see how well we do here If anyone has a desire to help me set up the parameters of the game, that would be cool as I am new here and would welcome any instruction or interaction. I think the one-week game would be best and certainly would keep us busy (personally I think the two-week game turn time is too long), would love to really use parameters that are "on steroids" from what we are used to at Starweb and see what that is like.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting some of you here and hope we can get things going fairly quickly. I thought that the launch date of January 1, 2018, seems like a good day to start and it would have our game turns always being on a Monday which is a good day of the week to have the turns due.

Merry Christmas to all and look forward to hearing from you!!!

Barry J. Williams
859 380 7584

Re: New Classic Game Starting January 1, 2018--Need New Play

Post by 12678 »

Hey again: I actually took a stab at some of the parameters myself and thought I would see how they feel for other gamers who might be wanting to give this a shot. I chose the game length and end score (over 10,000) and selected map configuration as well as the ability for players to be "seen" when they meet (as opposed to playing anonymously). There's still a lot more to set up but I thought that I would get things going by doing the basics. Let me know what you think. I also was going to solicit Dave's help (the creator and genius behind this) to see if I was remotely headed in the right direction. Thanks!
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Hi Barry,

sounds good to me, I'm always interested in classic :lol:

Waiting for the start of the game, but you should put it to sign on soon if it should start in January 1st...

Cheers
Arno
Armageddon has been yesterday - today we are in REAL trouble...

Post by 12678 »

Thanks Arioch for the reply and help. I really appreciate it. OK, so I created a classic style game for 10 players able to play 2 multi-positions with a 10,000 end game score cap. I am hopeful that is a solid enough set-up so that others will be interested enough to join. Subsequently, due to the holidays and everyone being consumed with those, I bumped the start date back to the 10th of January. So I guess my question is this: will the game automatically begin even if we don't have a full roster? Also, how is a "turn" generated? Is it sent to our email?

Obviously, there's a few bells and whistles to this that I don't understand being new here but looking forward to finding them out.

Also, where is the new game listed for players to sign up?

Thanks and looking forward to the game!

Barry J.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Hi Barry,

Welcome to RSW! To answer your specific questions, the game you have created is listed under the "Play" button for anyone else to see and sign up for. It currently looks like this:

Code: Select all

shadows8t is pending. Created 29 Dec 2017, last activity 30 Dec 2017.
	Game type Classic.
	Runs every 7 days at 03:00 PM PST, or when all players have submitted orders.
	6 players have joined, waiting to have 10 players.
	Begins 09:00 PM 09 Jan 2018, in 7.5 days (if at least 4 more sign up).
	Expires 09:00 PM 29 Jan 2018, in 3.9 weeks.
	Uses a computer-generated map.
	Game will end at 10000 points.
	Jump start: players start out owning worlds.
	Opponents' character types will be revealed.
	This is a multi-position game: 2 positions each.
	Character types: Architect, Arms Dealer, Collector, Emperor, Missionary, Positronix, Raider, Scavenger, Skip Tracer, Trader, Warlord
The beginning date of 09 Jan 2018 (since I'm on the West coast, what looks like midnight of 10 Jan to you looks like 9 pm the night before to me) is the earliest possible start date. This means that the game will not begin before that date, even if the roster completely fills up before then. If you wanted to suggest a game that will begin as soon as it fills up, you can simply leave the start date blank.

When the turn is generated, depending on your email preferences, you will either receive a notification, or a full turn report, in your email. In either case you can also come to the website to view or download the full turn report; and it will also appear in the RSW Client, if you are using the client.

David