Server downtime tonight, or maybe tomorrow?

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
drwr

Server downtime tonight, or maybe tomorrow?

Post by drwr »

Heads up players, I just got this email from my server's hosting provider. Confusingly, I received it on 11/16/16, but it says the downtime will be "tonight, 11/17/16". So I guess it will be down either tonight or tomorrow. Mostly this shouldn't affect players unless your game turn happens to be scheduled to run during the downtime.

Dear David,

As part of our ongoing effort to ensure the most secure environment for your hosting services, we recently identified a bug in the Xen Kernel and will be applying a bug fix to the server that your site is hosted on. This will require a reboot of the server which will result in up to 20 minutes of downtime for your site while the server restarts. The reboot will take place at 8:00pm eastern daylight time tonight, 11/17/16.

We realize how important the reliability of your website is and will be making every effort to minimize any impact to your site.

Sincerely,

The Security Team
drwr

Re: Server downtime tonight, or maybe tomorrow?

Post by drwr »

As many of you have no doubt noticed by now, the downtime was considerably more than 20 minutes--my server was down for over 24 hours. Please accept my apologies. I'm starting to investigate alternate server providers now.

David