Catching up

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Puzzler

Catching up

Post by Puzzler »

I last played RSW around 4 years ago, and I'm eager to recruit a new group of friends to try it, maybe over the summer.

Around the time I last played, there was a lot of experimentation going on -- experiments with hand-crafted, symmetrical maps rather than randomly generated maps, experiments with adjusting the point values for various aspects of the original characters, experiments with new characters.

I'm wondering whether things have stabilized and whether it is now known what maps/characters/point values create a fairly balanced game experience.

Is the classic version the safest bet, since it is tried and true, or is the advanced version now considered the definitive way to play?

Any tips for generating a game that will ensure the best experience for beginners would be welcome. Thanks.
somnos

Re: Catching up

Post by somnos »

Hi

I did a lot of the work with David for the advanced game and characters. I think that the characters are pretty balanced although I keep tweaking the Arms dealer points from the original to 16 pts/ship made. There are two more in playtest - The Ship Hoarder and Progenitor. The hoarder does well if it survives to endgame. The Progenitor is hard to win with but I've gotten 2nd place. It makes up for it by having so many different powers.

I advocate the classic game for beginners. Less character types. The maps that are handcrafted can be very challenging. Mine often have 3D structure while David's have repeating 2D patterns. They are fun to crack but if you don't like this type of puzzle stay away from Somnos maps :-).

Try and get those new players!! We need them.

El
Somnos
Puzzler

Re: Catching up

Post by Puzzler »

Which maps are used by default in classic? Do you have to "opt-out" of the complicated 3D maps if you don't want them, or does it choose a random handcrafted 2D map unless you opt-in to the 3D?