Mac client not starting

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Xenomorph

Mac client not starting

Post by Xenomorph »

Hello,

just yesterday I found my way to RSW. I made an account and read through parts of the manual. It sounds really interesting, maybe exactly the game I was looking for!
Anyway, I started a private, 1-player game to try out the game mechanics, but the client returns an error message every time I try to start it: "RSW Client Error". I can only click "Open Console", which doesn't help me or "Terminate".
I am running Mac OSX 10.9.5 on my Mac Book Pro. Am I doing something wrong? I would be glad for any help.

Thanks in advance,
Xeno
drwr

Re: Mac client not starting

Post by drwr »

Ah, my apologies. I see the problem; it appears that it is necessary for you to first install wxPython; the needed wxPython libraries aren't included as part of the distributable, and that's my error.

You should be able to download one of the Mac installers for wxPython, for instance this one: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxpyth ... -py2.7.dmg

Installing wxPython may be a bit more trouble than it should be due to Mountain Lion's Gatekeeper feature, which will reject the installer with a mysterious error message (you may have run into this already with the RSW Client executable, but in that case at least the error message is clear and the workaround is obvious). If it gives you trouble, see this page for another workaround: http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/14523

Again, my apologies! It shouldn't be this difficult to install software. I hadn't realized how complicated Apple has made things recently.

David
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

No worries, and thanks for your quick answer!

I had to disable Gatekeeper to install wxPython but now it seems to work fine.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Great! We look forward to seeing you in a game!
drwr

Post by drwr »

For anyone coming to this thread, the Mac client is once again working well out-of-the-box as of version 1.0.8.1; it no longer requires wxPython or any other special software to be installed.

David