Hmmm...

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
LordBaldy

Hmmm...

Post by LordBaldy »

First of all I'll just say hi to everyone, I played my first PBM around 1984/85 back in school when a friend brought in his UNITED turn sheets (that was a "soccer" management game), WOW! what a revelation that was, playing people all over the country on what seemed to me at the time to be a super computer was an amazing experience and I was hooked, once I got my first job I started playing lots of other war/space/RPG PBM's, the thrill of coming home from work to find another envelope of turns was ummm...thrilling! OK maybe that sounds a bit sad and probably rose tinted nostalgia, but I miss those days!

Anyway around 1995 I seemed to give up on all that and got into console gaming, never playing again, but with the on-set of middle age my reactions have gone and I don't enjoy playing anymore, so early this year I decided to explore the possibility of getting back into the hobby, obviously things have changed to e-mail and web based, but I've got back into Diplomacy and recently football management, really enjoying it and want to now try some space based action, and here I am!

I've downloaded the rules PDF and will spend a few weeks studying them before attempting a game, but in the meantime a few questions for someone to kindly answer.

1) How serious are the players on here? I mean in terms of playing properly and not dropping out? My Diplomacy experience too date makes me think that the ease of joining games nowadays means that people are just as quick to leave at short notice and try the next thing available.

2) What's the geographical spread like? I'm in England and presume people have no problem with different timezones.

3) What's this weeks winning lotto numbers going to be?

Anyway, when I'm ready I'll give it a go and hope to have some fun!

Cheers!
drwr

Re: Hmmm...

Post by drwr »

Hi, and welcome! I'm the developer and moderator. Glad to meet you!

I think I can answer some of your questions, though naturally I invite other players to speak up as well. As to learning the game, I suggest starting a one-player game for yourself to check out the mechanics of the game. You might also find players here who would be interested in a one-on-one game to help you learn the ropes.

1) RSW has a core group of players that's pretty serious; you won't get left alone in a game. Occasionally we do get curious visitors who come in, play a game for a few turns, then disappear again, and I've worked hard to design the game server to minimize the damage this causes. The most effective solution I've found is for the server to offer abandoned positions to another player to take over. Although it's not a perfect solution, it seems to work well enough. There's also an option to play a "members-only" game, which ensures that everyone in the game has already played at least two games to completion, but so far that doesn't seem to be really necessary. (Of course, this option won't yet be available to you, as a new player.)

2) It's pretty global. I live in California, and there are a fair number of other Americans active in the game, but we also have a strong European contingent (specifically Germany), and there are players from various other parts of the world as well. Players are already used to dealing with timezone issues.

3) Which lotto?

David
phx1jjm

Post by phx1jjm »

we have a few drops but since we are a small community, you find out who drops. Most games go to the end. It is fun, welcome
zar
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Welcome from Gérmany

Good to have a new player here :)

Arioch
Armageddon has been yesterday - today we are in REAL trouble...
LordBaldy

Post by LordBaldy »

Thanks for the welcomes!

I've read the rules and downloaded the client thingy so will try a one player game first before entering the fray.

See you all soon! :mrgreen:
ZenCat

Post by ZenCat »

I started PBM in 1977 and have been playing almost constantly ever since. I all those years Dave's "Client" is the most remarkable advance I've ever seen. No writing down or even typing in orders; everything is drag and drop! Also, the "advanced" characters that were developed by the community and programmed by Dave are an enormous addition and improvement over the "classic" set. All in all RSW is a great game with a solid (even though small) core of players. Welcome aboard!
somnos

Post by somnos »

Welcome. We can use a fresh face. The vets are all friendly and willing to help and mentor. Try a easier position at first to get used to the rhythm of the game. I recommend trader or emperor.

See you in the space lanes.

El
Somnos