I want to play but can't

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
JimE

I want to play but can't

Post by JimE »

Would someone please nudge the GM that http://rswgame.com/en/help/rswmanual.pdf is not working. I want to play but I need to read the rules first
phx1jjm

Re: I want to play but can't

Post by phx1jjm »

I did not even know there was a pdf.
If you download the rswclient, there is a rule set in the help section, easy to use.
the Mod checks in from time to time so just be a little patient, he will get to you.

and welcome to RSW
JimE

Post by JimE »

I've found enough info to proceed. I've create a single player game to check it out and learn the basic ropes. I'm using the RSW client, but it was always my intention to write my own, which I will do as I play along.

I was a player of Starweb in the late 70's, which is why I was so drawn to this game, and have a good idea of what's involved.

I'll join a real game, as soon as I think my client is passably useable by me.

I still would like that bad link fixed though, so I print and read the PDF. I'm an old-fashioned sorta guy, I like to sit and read papers, rather than screens.
phx1jjm

Post by phx1jjm »

Starweb is still around and a lot of us play both. The rules are in pdf format on that web server and are the same, for the most part, with names changed to protect the innocent
drwr

Post by drwr »

Oops, my apologies for my absence! I've been traveling and not checking online as often.

Also, my apologies for the broken link. It appears the link has been broken since I had to rebuild my server after a hacker attack, and I never noticed the problem. I've just corrected it.

As for writing a custom client, great! I fully support this and will be happy to provide whatever information you need. If you're doing this because you find some feature of the existing RSW client to be missing, though, I'd like to have your feedback. Also note that if you already have an existing client you like for Starweb, you can use it with RSW by enabling the "Interchange" mode in your user account game preferences (as long as you restrict yourself to playing only Starweb-compatible games).

David
JimE

Post by JimE »

Thanks for the fix David.

The motivation to write my own client is purely because I love programming as much as PBEM and Starweb, no reflection intended on your client or game, I may even steal some ideas!!! 8).

In my teaching high school years I even wrote a cutdown SW server in BASIC, back in late 70's. Once the kids got into the game I would be mobbed on turn available days!!

Jim
LWLAW

Post by LWLAW »

I want/need the rules in a download pdf too, I use a Mac Pro, and so far, have been unable to open the
pdfs till now. It oes work for me too. 8)

However, for all those after me, you can view all the rules on line. :D

Thanks for a great game!

Dubhspiriag