schema8w - victory conditions not working???

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Arioch

schema8w - victory conditions not working???

Post by Arioch »

Hi Dave,

could you please check why the victory condition for this game seem not to work?

schema8w started 05 Jan 2012, now at turn 49.
Game type Advanced.
3 players with 16 total positions.
Game will end when 80% of worlds are owned by one player, or when one player remains.
This is a specialty game.
This is a no-communication game.
This is a multi-position game: 4 positions each.

There are 345 worlds in the game from which there are 101 Black Holes. So, if the game includes the BH for the count 80% would mean I need to own 276 worlds for winning, impossible because I only can own 244 :x

If the game does not include the BH I need to own 196 worlds (80%), i currently own 241 worlds so why does the game not end?

Or, worst case, does "owned by one player" means one character for the game???? That would be a real bug :twisted:

I would appreciate very much if you could check this (and proove to me that i am unable to use mathematics :D ). It is not that I fear to loose the game but hunting my only opponent around ist not really satisfying, i think both he and me would like to concentrate on other games...

Best regards
Arioch aka Arno
Armageddon has been yesterday - today we are in REAL trouble...
drwr

Re: schema8w - victory conditions not working???

Post by drwr »

Hi Arno,

I'll check into it. It seems like I was not thinking of Black Holes, or of multiplayer games, when I wrote the code to support this particular victory condition. My apologies! I'm currently out of town and can't easily fix it this week, but I should be able to get to it next weekend or so.

David
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Hi david,

no need to hurry, the game is already won for me, I just will hunt down the last remnants of my enemy :)

It's good to know that my mathematical knowledge has not failed ;)

Best regards
Arioch
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Hi David,

although the game is over now it would be good if you check the code for I only won it by eliminating all other players

Regards
Arno
drwr

Post by drwr »

Indeed, it was counting Black Holes as part of the required set of worlds that must be owned. I've corrected this so that Black Holes (and worlds with zero population) are no longer considered; now the rule is that a single player (or team) must own 80% or whatever of all of the available worlds.

If you happen to have a player that can own Black Holes or zero-pop worlds, those worlds aren't counted towards or against the 80%.

David
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

Arioch - I was doomed from the get-go

nice bitter end game
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Yeah, those hit-and-run tactics could really be annoying :)

Thanks for the game Gorf