Brussels3 Mapping

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
BongoBob

Brussels3 Mapping

Post by BongoBob »

The new Somnos maps can be a challenge to organize. This latest game is based on one of the Hypercube Out maps. This REALLY shouldn't be a spoiler, as it is the only possible fit. If it is a spoiler, you probably could really use what is to follow.

Edit: Make sure you first select "Map -> Snap to grid"! Default "Map -> Enable springs" is terrible for this map. And every other map, really.

Find the first world off of your homeworld. This, not your HW, is what you center your map around. There are 6 worlds off of this, 2 each in X Y and Z axes. Figure out which world pairs are opposites (i.e. on the same axis), and place them opposite of each other across the center world. The pairs can be identified by the lack of a common connector world OTHER THAN the center world. The symmetry of the map means that left-right up-down doesn't matter, the only thing that does is properly offsetting X Y and Z axis worlds as opposites.

To help, you can download the Hypercube map image off of the RSW website and turn it into a background template. See forum topic: Turning a map into a background.

Edit: If you find the map background busy, just load it, organize, then switch back!
Edit: Map background attached. Sample screen-cap (with world numbers wiped :D ) attached.
Use this in place of stardust background to help organize your map.
Use this in place of stardust background to help organize your map.
hypercube15out.jpg (205.21 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
Demo of using map as background.
Demo of using map as background.
DemoPic.jpg (67.42 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
somnos

Re: Brussels3 Mapping

Post by somnos »

Sure - make it easy to crack my maps :-)!

Makes me so mad - I want to start making more maps <g>. Have you seen the cube in cube variants yet. The HWs are the only links from the big to little cubes.

El
Somnos
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

somnos wrote:Sure - make it easy to crack my maps :-)!

Makes me so mad - I want to start making more maps <g>. Have you seen the cube in cube variants yet. The HWs are the only links from the big to little cubes.

El
Somnos
What about constantly changing connections ?
In even turns worlds 1, 2 , 3 are connected, in odd turns worlds 4, 5, 6. A traffic lights system perhaps.
Or randomized chaotic connections each turn.

Could be a new challenging playground for you ;-)

MiTCh
somnos

Post by somnos »

Actually, in the Starcon variant of this game (now defunct) the moderator and I created a wormhole world. The world would change it's connections each turn. In one game it had 7 connections that changed each turn. It has industry and lots of mines so it was worth fighting for. Once my alliance captured it we would jump to it or from it whenever we saw it attach to part of our territory and we probed unknown worlds to get glimpses of the map. It was a lot of fun.

El
Somnos
sargas

Post by sargas »

not for those of us on the other side...

was that the one that gave you a one-way connection to a world next to a HW?
somnos

Post by somnos »

No, I think that was another game. There was one where the often common second level of the map lead to a world that connected one way to all the empires - either R1 or the HW. Was the moderator's idea that time. It was too powerful a tool. Map stuff should be fun but not game changing.

El
Somnos