pausing of games

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Tieffdschie

pausing of games

Post by Tieffdschie »

hi, from next tuesday on i will be on leave for 1 1/2 weeks.
unfortunately this time without any access to web.
is there a possibility to delay the deadlines of the several games i am in ?
MiTCh
drwr

Re: pausing of games

Post by drwr »

I'm generally happy to pause games when asked, with respect to the other players in the game. What games do you need paused? Can I get some comments from some other players on whether you would object?

Actually, I'm about to go out of town myself, and my own internet access will be spotty. So try to respond quickly. :)

David
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

Mitch, since you are a professional skier and globe-trotting business man, you should at least know if you can commit to weekly turns on rswgame.

All I have to say.

Gorf
somnos

Post by somnos »

I don't mind if a game is paused for a week for a player who is away. I've been there myself. But there are other alternatives - I have done a turn for an ally when they were away for 2 weeks. Means trust.

Have a good holiday.

El
Somnos
drwr wrote:I'm generally happy to pause games when asked, with respect to the other players in the game. What games do you need paused? Can I get some comments from some other players on whether you would object?

Actually, I'm about to go out of town myself, and my own internet access will be spotty. So try to respond quickly. :)

David
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

Hi David,
the games are

brussels9h
combined7u
panier5a
sorrow2x
starring5f
thermal9f

I will be on leave from April 3rd to April 15th.

Thank you,
MiTCh
Last edited by Tieffdschie on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

Gorf wrote:Mitch, since you are a professional skier and globe-trotting business man, you should at least know if you can commit to weekly turns on rswgame.
All I have to say.
Gorf
Thank goodness you have nothing to say....!

Ask David who is holding back.

MiTCh
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you somnos.

I think it is acceptable for a player to ask for a game pause in emergency situations, i.e. family problems, disk crash, or other understandable extenuating circumstances.

other than that it is just a selfish request, in my opinion. and holds up the game for all other players that agree to the rules. The said player should accept the losses he will take while missing a turn.

I have noticed that MiTch has dropped out of several games before. What is the rule on "members in good standing"?

Gorf
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

holding up games is a slippery slope. I'm sure the Moderator will agree.
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

Gorf wrote:I'll have to respectfully disagree with you somnos.

I think it is acceptable for a player to ask for a game pause in emergency situations, i.e. family problems, disk crash, or other understandable extenuating circumstances.

other than that it is just a selfish request, in my opinion. and holds up the game for all other players that agree to the rules. The said player should accept the losses he will take while missing a turn.

I have noticed that MiTch has dropped out of several games before. What is the rule on "members in good standing"?

Gorf
Gorf, you are crossing a border here.
Stop telling false pretensens.

Name the games you say I dropped out of, please.
I have nothing to hide, so let´s analyze your statements.

Actually, I am taking over a lot of abandoned positions (for example combined7u, numeros7j, wold5a) for the fun of the other players in the game AND I play positions to the very bitter end, the last world/fleet (like ludwig2m, starring5f).

As everybody can have a look at the ended games and the players involveld, I have assume that you are trying to bully me by telling lies.
I see no reason for this.

So be concrete - or silent.

MiTCh

PS: Once again,again,again: as the 12th player signing in, I was the first to make orders for brussels9h at all, and sent in my orders for turn 3 as soon as it was possible - several days ago.
But by the way. what´s a schedule for if not letting the players the time they need/want ? Who/what entitles you to make this pressure on "slower" players ? I am sure that David sees your behaviour more likely as problematic than players taking their time. If you want faster progess, create some 1-day-games.
drwr

Post by drwr »

OK, guys, let's try to keep the hostility within the context of the game. I refuse to take favorites here: both of you are enthusiastic and active players, with different gaming styles.

As for pausing games, I generally don't see a problem with holding a few days back out of a game that plays out over several months, but I also realize that interruptions to the game's schedule can be frustrating to other players involved in the game. It's unfortunate that we haven't heard from anyone in these games other than these two somewhat hostile voices; but I suspect most of the other players probably aren't as strongly concerned one way or the other.

So, other things being equal, my inclination is to give these games a few days. Unfortunately, in this case, my own vacation schedule corresponds with yours, so it may not actually be possible for me to do this, since I may not be able to get online at the required times. If I can, I'll adjust the dates, but I can't make promises. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to make arrangements with another player in the game(s) to fill in for you in your absence, if there's someone you can trust. :)

David
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

drwr wrote:OK, guys, let's try to keep the hostility within the context of the game. I refuse to take favorites here: both of you are enthusiastic and active players, with different gaming styles.
David
I am not being hostile, just trying to defend me against a liar.
As everybody can read, when it comes to hard facts, suddenly there´s silence on the other side...

MiTCh
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

I completely understand if the Moderator wants to time off. David has taken a lot of time and effort to create rswgame.

My above post is still what I think. If current and future rswgame players request a random time off for "vacations", well, let's just say this will cause problems for the Moderator. Especially if (hopefully) there are more players in the game pool.

Gorf
Tieffdschie

Post by Tieffdschie »

No diversion please.

Where are the facts to your pretenses ?
Gorf

Post by Gorf »

I know there is a lot of snow in Europe this winter, MiTCH

As for me, I have been to Zermatt, Flaine, and Chamonix. NZ, Canada and Alaska. I'm a snowboarder and have not skied for years. My home mountain is Stratton ,VT.

I have a colleague that lives in Geneva, and plan to go back to Chamonix next winter.

Gorf
drwr

Post by drwr »

So I totally screwed that up. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

On three of the games, when I attempted to delay them, due to an unfortunate typo, I accidentally made them run immediately instead. :( I then delayed them correctly, but the damage had already been done. Unfortunately, once a turn has been run, there's no good way to un-run it. I could roll the game back, but some players have already seen the results of the new turn, so there's no way to back up in a way that's fair to all.

It's kind of ironic that I made this mistake in light of the above debate over the legitimacy of delaying games at all; but I assure you that it wasn't my intention to spoil the turn in any way. I simply screwed up. The best I can do now is to promise not to enter commands like this in haste again. :(

David