MAC Version of RSW Client

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
DickDonald

MAC Version of RSW Client

Post by DickDonald »

I've been using the Mac version of the RSW client for years without problems, but it stopped working when I upgraded to Lion. Is a fix in the works? :cry:
drwr

Re: MAC Version of RSW Client

Post by drwr »

It did? Hum, first I've heard of it. I guess I have to upgrade to Lion too and see if I can tell what's going on.

David
DickDonald

Post by DickDonald »

I haven't heard of any progress, but perhaps I can give a clue. I get an error message saying "no module wx." What is wx and is it available somewhere?
drwr

Post by drwr »

My apologies for the lack of progress. I've been a bit distracted lately, but I'll try again to get into solving this problem.

"wx" is wxPython, which is available from http://www.wxpython.org/ . It shouldn't be necessary to download it yourself, though--but I see now that the comment on that site is that it is available for 32-bit Python only, so maybe the problem is related to that detail? It certainly bears investigation.

David
Nestalawe

Post by Nestalawe »

Hey,

Has there been any progress on this?

I have been trying to install the Mac version of the client but it just ain't happening.

I have installed Python as suggested but still get errors - any update?

Cheers,

Nestalawe'
drwr

Post by drwr »

Huh, it had been working. I guess it's gone out-of-date again. Which OS are you running?
drwr

Post by drwr »

Ah, no, I see it is *still* demanding a dependency on wx. My apologies! I'll try to get this sorted soon.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Bah. What a pain in the butt it is to install wxPython on a recent Mac OS. I'm considering just dropping Mac support. Are you able to run it in Parallels?
Nestalawe

Post by Nestalawe »

Heya,

Haha yeah we got it working somehow!

Cheers,

Nestalawe'
drwr

Post by drwr »

Ah, good news! Well, I'll keep the Mac version online then, as it is, even though it's such a nuisance to install.
drwr

Post by drwr »

If anyone is coming late to this thread, the Mac client is once again working well and does not require Parallels or wxPython or anything else.

Daivd