RSW version 1.0.3: online voting

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
drwr

RSW version 1.0.3: online voting

Post by drwr »

The biggest change with this release is the integration with an online game index's voting system, as first discussed back in this thread. For the moment, I'm linking the votes to topwebgames.com; I might experiment with different indexes later (but I don't want to link to more than one of them at a time--I think making my users click through one game index's voting page is onerous enough; I don't want to make people have to go through this for multiple different indexes).

This is all entirely experimental. I don't know whether it will really help bring more people to RSW or not, but I figure it's worth a try. If it turns out to be more trouble than it's worth, I'll take it out again.

To further increase the incentive for players to vote, you get a modest score bonus. Take note of your new "RSW vote score"; it's a value between 0.000 and 1.000, which represents how consistently you've voted over the past two weeks. If you come in to vote every day, your score will gradually climb to 1.000 and stay there. Each turn, in each of your games (except those configured to disable this), you will earn 10 points * your vote score, so if your vote score is 0.800 when the turn rolls over, for instance, you will earn 8 bonus points that turn. I figure this will result in a maximum of about 250 points or so added to any one player's score by the end of the game, which is enough to be meaningful, but not enough to completely unbalance the game.

This will be effective for future games only (currently-running games are configured to ignore the vote bonus).

Please let me know if you find this obnoxious, or if you think it is helpful! Your opinions matter to me.

David
drwr

RSW version 1.0.3.1

Post by drwr »

A few bugfixes in this release, some timely and some much belated:
Version 1.0.3.1:

* Industry will no longer auto-build I-Ships the same turn it is
created.

* Fixed a crash with German client running on German computers.

* Fixed a few issues with the message auto-translate box.

* Fixed an issue with projecting standby and ambush.
Bloody-OAK

Re: RSW version 1.0.3: online voting

Post by Bloody-OAK »

Ich schreib das jetzt einfach mal auf deutsch. Ich kann nicht perfekt englisch, aber das was mir der aktuelle, eingedeutschte RSW-Client da vorsetzt ist ein Kauderwelsch vor dem Herrn. Für mich war die Original-Version auf englisch deutlich verständlicher als dieses Babelfish-Deutsch. Vielleicht kann man das ja wieder rückgängig machen. Ich sag nur: Never change a running system ...
Bloody-OAK

Post by Bloody-OAK »

Außerdem kann ich den neuen Client nicht installieren. Kommen andauernd Fehlermeldungen. Wenn das nicht anders wird hab ich die längste Zeit gespielt hier
drwr

Post by drwr »

The current translation is indeed clumsy, as I stated in this post. Arioch has been making fantastic progress in correcting this; you are welcome to join him in his efforts to improve the German text. Or you can switch back to the English text in the Configure menu.

The current version is 1.0.3.1; from the logs, you appear to have this version installed and running successfully. What kind of error messages are you getting?

David
drwr

RSW version 1.0.3.2

Post by drwr »

Several bugfixes in this release.
Version 1.0.3.2:

* Further fix to a crash when running in German mode on German
versions of Windows.

* Fixed a bug causing ambush fire not to be reported.

* Fixed an issue with prediction of usable industry after
migration.

* Fixed an issue with robot-drop orders and combat prediction.

* Fixed a few issues with the allies/team display.

* Fixed several crashes.

* Server: simplified game start-date rules.

* Server: made the web interface slightly less terrible on iPhone
and other mobile devices.

Version 1.0.3.1:

* Industry will no longer auto-build I-Ships the same turn it is
created.

* Fixed a crash with German client running on German computers.

* Fixed a few issues with the message auto-translate box.

* Fixed an issue with projecting standby and ambush.