RSW Version 1.0.1: German version

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
drwr

RSW Version 1.0.1: German version

Post by drwr »

This version represents a major reworking of some very low-level systems within both the server and the client, and thus there is a greater than usual chance of unexpected bugs in this release. Please report problems to me as soon as you can so I can fix them promptly. (And my apologies to the people who were online between 6pm and 8pm Pacific Time today, and who got hit with the temporary upgrade snafus I introduced.)

Thanks are due to my volunteer testers, who helped me discover and iron out most of the bugs in this new release. Thanks ZenCat, esoteric, somnos, and lawyerted!

The big news with this version is the long-awaited German translation. You can switch between German and English versions of the web page via the new links on the right side of the navigation bar above. The German text is initially very rough, having been auto-translated via Google. I invite our German-speaking friends to submit corrected translations. You can do this from the "trans" link right below the "en" and "de" links. When you click on the "trans" link, you will see the text that was visible on the page you were just looking at, and you can enter a corrected translation for any text on the page. You can also search for other text strings; you may enter either the English text or the German text, and all strings that include your search string will be displayed (and you may enter a corrected translation for any of them). Finally, you can download a language pack, which is basically a zip file containing all of the text used anywhere in RSW, and you may make translations at your convenience offline, and submit a modified language pack to the server when you're ready.

The client also supports a German translation, which you can select in the File | Configure menu. The client text is also available for correction under the "trans" link; any corrections you make on the web page are automatically downloaded and displayed immediately by the client.

Please let me know if anyone has any issues with any of these new systems.

The ChangeLog:
Version 1.0.1.1:

* Fixed crash at start which occurred after installing the new
version of the client without previously uninstalling the previous
version. Windows only.

Version 1.0.1.0:

* Added support for multiple languages.

* Fixed PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "ret.Ok()"

* Previously, the "Full game specifications" as reported on the
client omitted the list of initial galaxy parameters such as
NumWorlds and EndOfGameScore. This has been corrected; these
configuration settings are now reported by the client.

* Fixed a problem with inaccurate number of players reported in
the client's "Full game specifications."

* Fixed a confusing client-side error message when building a PBB
onto a fleet that may be ambushed.

* Fixed the tendency of the status line to get crushed to nothing.

* Fixed a problem where Arms Dealer's build-from-ships orders
aren't offered over another player's worlds.
Raf

Re: RSW Version 1.0.1: German version

Post by Raf »

Submiting a bug through the client seems to hang
drwr

Post by drwr »

Hmm. I did receive the two bug reports you sent, so they did go through, but it sounds like the client makes it look like it doesn't. But maybe it's just a problem with the size of the welcomed4h data, which might take a while to upload? I'll investigate.

David
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

i started to review and correct the german translation file but due to the amount of text it will take a lot of time for me. do you think it would be better to upload the corrected parts from time to time or wait till all is finished?
Armageddon has been yesterday - today we are in REAL trouble...
drwr

Post by drwr »

It is true there is a lot of text. Thanks for your help volunteering--I very much appreciate it, and so will all of the German players to come to the game in the future!

I think it is better to upload the text as you go, whenever it is convenient for you, and download a new language pack from time to time. The reason is that the source text does change slightly from one release to the next, and it is better to be always working on a current language pack. Also, if another volunteer starts working too, it will be easier for both of you to avoid doing the same redundant work if you are both keeping current.

Furthermore, in case something goes wrong with the translation database system (it's still new and might have bugs), it is better to know this sooner rather than later. Finally, as you add each corrected translation, it incrementally improves the overall experience, and there's no reason to wait for that. :)

David
Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Hi David,

i just uploaded my langpack.zip or better i tried to do, but i got a server error without hints. Could you please check if the upload has worked? and if not, why there was an error?

Regards
Arno aka Arioch
Armageddon has been yesterday - today we are in REAL trouble...
drwr

Post by drwr »

Problem fixed and communicated via PM.