New Characters - Ship Hoarder/Key Hoarder

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
somnos

New Characters - Ship Hoarder/Key Hoarder

Post by somnos »

Hi All

In recent games I've put in a new character called the Ship Hoarder who scores by having ships. He had a 4:1 commandeer like a raider and a 2:1 scavenge of neutral keys like a scavenger. Since he accumulates ships I made his attack multiplier 50%. He gets 1 point/ship and 10 points/key. In the first playtest - it was the extreme game where everyone's points went through the roof. I managed to snag a score in the mid teens (15,000 ish) and owned over 3000 ships - the most in the game. I'm currently playing it again and hope the scoring is a bit better in a normal universe. It strikes me that I can split this position into 2 types of character

Ship Hoarder V2
Commandeer 3:1 or 4:1 like raider. Key points = -10 (you don't want keys). Ship points 2/ship. Attack multiplier 50%.

Key Hoarder
Commandeer 3:1 Or 4:1 like a raider. Key points 30/key. Ship points -0.1 (1 point off per 10 ships). Empty key scavenge 2:1 like a scavenger to get more keys. So you need ships to capture keys but for every 100 ships you would lose 10 points. Hmmm, maybe it should be -0.2 or -0.3 points/ship. You want a lot of keys and not too many ships.
Attack multiplier = 50% in case you capture lots of ships to keep you even with other characters.

In the original games I stocked the HWs with 50 industry to get more ships into action and some extra keys at the HW.

So - I think the idea is sound but how are the numbers. What should the points be like or the commandeer ratios?

Any ideas for other types of players? I was thinking of some sort of Teleporter but haven't worked out the details.

Would love some input from our moderator too!

El
Somnos
drwr

Re: New Characters - Ship Hoarder/Key Hoarder

Post by drwr »

These sound like fun ideas. It would be interesting to have a game with both of them involved--they would probably make a pretty decent pair of allies.

Let's keep the trial games with these characters rolling out and we'll see where the scores balance.

David