statistic

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
sun-e

statistic

Post by sun-e »

Why we can view the overview of all ended game? I guess it would be interesting to see a list of ended games, with players, points, ships, worlds, and some more fore several statistics.

We link back to game game overview of ended game from our portal, but odler games not visible anymore :cry:
http://www.pbem-spiele.de/index.php?id=156
drwr

Re: statistic

Post by drwr »

I only keep old games in the live database for 30 days after completion, mainly to limit the disk consumption on my server. The old games do get archived, though, and I could provide some statistics on the completed games, or a static information sheet, or something.

I've been meaning to put some kind of a leaderboard up, though I'm a little worried about the effect that might have on people's temptation to cheat (and create bogus games to drive up their leaderboard scores, or some such).

David
sun-e

Post by sun-e »

Hm...how big are the data of one game?
drwr

Post by drwr »

It varies. A typical game is probably about 15MB. Our largest one was 75MB. That's not so big per game, but it does add up: the total space for all games since I started keeping records would require about 2GB, which is a sizeable piece of the total 20GB capacity on my rented server.

I could make room for that much space, of course. And I could probably find some way to deal with it as it keeps growing. But I'd like to know that whatever choice I make will be sustainable should RSW popularity increase in the future.

David
drwr

Post by drwr »

I have modified the game server to allow online display of archived games as well as current games. All of the old links should now work.

You can't download these old games into your client, though--you can only view them on the web page.

David