Game Politics As It Applies To RSW

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Gorf

Game Politics As It Applies To RSW

Post by Gorf »

IMHO this has been a problem for FBI, SG over time and have may have been a reason for players to not play.

Prolly has been discussed before. but brace3k is a good example.

I believe in cross-game Alliances. It does promote the Game for ppl that are interested.

Please post your thoughts.
drwr

Re: Game Politics As It Applies To RSW

Post by drwr »

The way I see it, people are going to form cross-game alliances (and grudges) whether you ask them to or not. So we might as well accept that they exist, and expect them to happen. Asking people not to form them won't work, in my experience. I don't particularly have an ethical problem with them, either--there's another word for a long-term alliance, and that's "friendship".

It is true that the existence of these long-term relationships can have a dramatic effect on each game when the player population is relatively small; you are likely to encounter many of the same players in each game you play. So be it. If you want to avoid cross-game memory, consider playing a "no-communication" game, or play anonymously by signing up with a unique player handle in each game (not a different account, just the handle you use in-game), and try to vary your communication style so people will be less likely to guess your identity.

This somewhat relates to another topic, also involving brace3k--apparently, the politics in that game rose to a perhaps hurtful level. There has been a rather longstanding debate as to whether it should be legal for a player in a game to take over an abandoned position in the same game. There are very good arguments on both sides, but so far it has been legal (at least by default) within RSW games. After some more discussion on the subject, I've agreed to make this more restrictive, so that a player may not take over an abandoned position in the same game he is already playing, unless the game parameters specifically allow this. This change will be effective with all future games.

David