Difference in artifact names (mail and website)

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Bubble

Difference in artifact names (mail and website)

Post by Bubble »

It took me 13 turns to realize a big difference between the mail report I read and the web version where I enter my orders. :)

Mail result :
W5 (1,14,18) [BUBBLE] (Industry=30,Metal=40,Mines=3,Population=50R,
Limit=100,Turns=6) V6:Slippers of Venus V18:Arcturian Crown
V22:Ancient Pyramid V27:Vegan Pyramid V34:Golden Lodestar
V49:Radiant Shekel V55:Titanium Sword V59:Radiant Sword
V61:Platinum Sepulchre V62:Ancient Sepulchre V67:Vegan Sepulchre
V75:Titanium Moonstone V80:Plastic Stardust V87:Vegan Stardust
V88:Arcturian Stardust V95:Titanium Sphinx V99:Radiant Sphinx
V100:Black Box
Web result :
World 5: Bubble
Connections: W1, W14, W18
Homeworld for: Bubble
Industry: 30
Robots: 50
Human Pop Limit: 100
Metal, Mines: 40, 3

I-Ships: 0
P-Ships: 0

Turns Owned: 6

V6:Rock of Diamante
V18:Mythical Sceptor
V22:Antique Sculpture
V27:Venusian Sculpture
V34:Legal Cutlass
V49:Bamboo Compact
V55:Metallic Conduit
V59:Bamboo Conduit
V61:Imperial Grail
V62:Antique Grail
V67:Venusian Grail
V75:Metallic Asteroid
V80:Cursed Sapphire
V87:Venusian Sapphire
V88:Mythical Sapphire
V95:Metallic Carapace
V99:Bamboo Carapace
V100:Pandora's Box
I understand there was a global rename in artifacts names. Is there any other difference between both reports ? Can I fully trust the mail report ?
drwr

Re: Difference in artifact names (mail and website)

Post by drwr »

You must have enabled the "Interchange" format, which formats the turn report in to be syntax-compatible with FBI's turn reports, for the purpose of loading the turn report into an FBI-compatible analyzer program (such as Constella, or Flying Moose's Analyzer).

Because some of these programs might be scanning for the exact artifact name, it is necessary for the "interchange" format to use the FBI-equivalent name for the artifacts. However, when you view the report on the RSW page, formatted for human consumption, it shows the true RSW name for the artifacts instead.

There are a few other minor details. The Interchange format must also show other player names in all UPPERCASE, for instance. I think it is also more limited in the kind of formatting it can use for player-to-player messages. In general, though, it is the same report, number-for-number.

To avoid this confusion, I recommend turning off the "Interchange" format.

David
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

Thanks david,

I'll turn off this interchange format and add another parsing function to my tools.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Note that, if you're writing your own tools to do the parsing, that RSW also provides the turn report in an XML format, which is easily and reliably read by software tools. There's not an option to have the XML format mailed to you automatically, but you can easily get it via a web download (and this part can be made automatic too).

In fact, you can query all kinds of information automatically via XML over the web, including your list of active games and orders due. I can give you more information on this if you are interested.

David
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

Some kind of webservice ? I'm interested. Actually I'm planning to port some tools for my smart phone (HTC Touch HD on Windows Mobile), if work or laziness do not interfere.
drwr

Post by drwr »

Started a new thread.

David