Automatic build

A place for general chatter about games in progress, games completed, strategy advice, bug reports, or really anything at all that relates in some vague way to RSW.
Bengui

Automatic build

Post by Bengui »

Hey.
I'm trying the emperor in a single player private game. I wanted to left 2 metal unused in the first turn to build an industry in the second, but surprise... it built 2 I-ships I didn't want.
So I looked in the rules, and found that :
If your world meets the requirements for its industry to build, it will always build; you can't order it not to. You can't prevent it from building by loading the metal onto a fleet (it will build with the metal before you can load it). If you don't give your industry any particular orders, it will build I-Ships.
Seriously ?!?!?
WTF...
This win the palm for most stupid rule in a Starweb-like -_-
Is there any logic behind this ?
drwr

Re: Automatic build

Post by drwr »

Believe it or not, that's the precise rule from the official game of Starweb as offered by FBI, as of at least the 7th edition rules. (I'm not sure in which edition the rule was added.) I can only speculate as to its intended purpose, but I imagine it is designed to protect people from inadvertently omitting a build order, or failing to build due to a missed turn, which has historically been a very easy (and costly) mistake.

David
Bengui

Re: Automatic build

Post by Bengui »

Oh... I didn't remember that :/
My mistake..